Need to upgrade

• Praise
  • Updated 1 year ago
Since I got CW Skimmer stable I have been using to chase TL8TT.   Yesterday on 40 meters I had it set up with the 6300 in split mode using both slices.   As I was waiting for them to start calling CQ,  I wanted to check 20 meters.  At that point I realized a 6500 would be nice.  Just open another slice and go.  

Mike, W8MLS
Photo of Mike, W8MLS

Mike, W8MLS

• 109 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Mark Erbaugh

Mark Erbaugh

• 376 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Instead of using two slices for the split, you might try using one slice with RIT.
Photo of Mike, W8MLS

Mike, W8MLS

• 109 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
I will have to give that a go... I believe the XIT is what I am looking for not RIT.   That way I can use CW Skimmer on the OP and move up to work them...

Thanks,

Mike
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3875 Posts
  • 1181 Reply Likes
I have often used XIT for splits. It is especially handy to have the FlexControlKnob. I can program one AUX button for XIT. When I press it, I can just "throw" the knob to the right and get a quick offset. By watching the display, fully zoomed, I can often discern the DX's pattern and slide the tx frequency right into the next slot. The only disadvantage is that I cannot hear the pileup, but it often isn't necessary.

It is faster and easier than a second slice, and most of the time is sufficient. When it isn't , then I hit the +RX button and open up a split.....

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Mike, W8MLS

Mike, W8MLS

• 109 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
I used it today with the Maestro.   Worked like a champ.   Today is 3rd day in a row that I have had no issues with CW Skimmer.   So I am thinking I have the issues behind me now.

Mike
Photo of Kevin K4VD, Elroy

Kevin K4VD, Elroy

• 775 Posts
  • 171 Reply Likes
XIT for me! And if you happen to have the FlexControl it works a lot better than that silly left/right XIT arrow in SSDR. Sheesh. Someone didn't think that control through.

I do a fox hunt every week. It always starts out with +1K splits. I can use the FlexControl to set the +1K split and then move the VFO around hunting for the fox with the split intact.