Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Need to be able to send/save recorded audio

Andrew Thall
Andrew Thall Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
In SmartSDR, I would like the ability to save and send audio files. I am an ARRL Official Observer and having the ability to send a file to a ham or up the line for FCC action would be very helpful.
1 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    What a lot do is record with Audcity and save the file in what ever format you want.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Many Log programs will also allow you to do that and add call sign plus name it with the date and time automatically, for example HRD.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Audcity is free and works well. I've done it many times. Mike va3mw
  • Andrew Thall
    Andrew Thall Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Thank you for your responses.  I will look into Audacity.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    My understanding is that the audio file is stored in the radio and not externally saved on the PC. The simple solution for Flex or a 3rd party developer would be to create their own audio program within SmartSDR or to acompany it. This I'm sure is on the feature request but not sure what the priority is. Until then, there are many free audio programs you can use to record audio in a variety of formats like mp3. For example Adacity, just open up the program, Edit, Preferences and in the Record section select the DAX RX the slice is using, and select mono since you don't need it in stereo. Hit the record but and bingo your recording. You can easily edit the audio to you liking. The use File, Export Audio to the format and folder you want.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I do that with Audacity, recording from a DAX channel.  I also can do it with "OpenBroadcaster" which lets me do a screen capture of the video on my 6500, too, and document it through my mike with play-by-play commentary!  Slick!  Both programs are freeware.
  • Robert Karz
    Robert Karz Member
    edited July 2017
    Andrew,
    Yes, Audacity is the way to go.  One problem I've found with DAX is that it only records RX and not TX audio.  If you don't want to deal with DAX, try putting an splitter cable on the speaker output and running a patch cable to your computer's sound card input.  I've done that and record all my operating QSOs.  If I want to save part of the audio record (such as a contact with a "rare one"), I use the editing functions of Audacity which are quite intuitive.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.