Need SSDR Ver 2.3.9 help with ASUS Router

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
I have tried multiple times to go from SSDR 2.2.8 to SSDR 2.3.9 but my ASUS AC88 router VPN that I use for connection to my remote does not work with the new SSDR Version 2.3.X versions that went from fragmented UDP packets to using full Ethernet frames (1518 Bytes).
My ASUS AC88 router will only allow me to adjust the MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) of my VPN to 1492 and this still is not enough to allow me to see the panadapter or waterfall as I could in 2.2.8.
Is anyone successfully using SSDR Version 2.3.9 with an ASUS router VPN configuration?
HELP PLEASE
   SmartLink works all ok to the Remote but of course does not allow Digital FT8 using DAX thus the VPN setup to my remote Router.
Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 806 Posts
  • 128 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of WX7Y

WX7Y

• 562 Posts
  • 102 Reply Likes
My AC88 works great running SSDR 2.3.9.
I have NOT changed anything other then the port forwarding addition. 
I run both SmartLink and Softether VPN to run my F6700 and F6600 radios Remotely all the time from my Laptop, work desktop,  IPhone and IPAD from my Verizon wireless network and work network connection.

If it where me I would hard reset the AC88, make sure the Firmware is up to date,  setup the port forwarding and make sure SmartLink works.
If your using the OpenOffice VPN server built into the router then I can't help you there because I have not used it in over a year after I built my first Softether VPN which run's so much better then the built in OpenVPN in the router.

You can use a Raspberry Pi which there is information on here that has scripts to automate the install and I have several of these running on my different networks, I have my server at my station running on my little NUK computer that runs as my entertainment server. 

Sorry to not be more help but this is what I would suggest.
73's 
Bret
WX7Y

Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 806 Posts
  • 128 Reply Likes
Thanks Bret for the input.   SmartLink works all ok with my Maestro but the point to point VPN capabilities of the ASUS router wont pass the full 1518 byte frames that 2.3.9 is now using.
All I really need is help setting up a Softether point to point VPN between my Remote located PC (Server) and here at the control end (Client PC) .   No Raspberry PI.  I just need help populating the Server and the Client modules of SoftEther I think..or do I really need the PI setup? 
I lost all the original Softether info that Chris K6OZY set up for me when lightning took out the remote computer server end.  Cant use Digital modes with the 6600 until I get a VPN link that works again :(
(Edited)
Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 806 Posts
  • 128 Reply Likes
After 8 hours of continuous "frigging" with the latest SoftEther VPN Server and Client I finally have a working VPN between home and the Remote Radio location!    I still use Maestro over Smartlink but the Softether VPN does allow the full Ethernet frames to come through and thus I can now use the SSDR here for my Digital mode work!   No Raspberry Pi needed.
I do have a support ticket in with ASUS regarding the issue of their built in VPN service on the ASUS Routers that do not allow a large enough MTU setting to pass full Ethernet frames.
(Edited)