Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Need some guidelines on how to set up the EQ profiles for SSB RX and TX

"OB"
"OB" Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows

I need some quidelines on how to set the EQ profiles for SSB, RX and TX on my Flex 6500 under Ver 1.3.

I understand there are different settings for DX and others for rag chewing?

Thanks for you alls help.

Regards

OB

W4HXJ

Answers

• NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019

I've been fiddling with these settings for the last few evenings while supporting a local net.  I use a Heil PR781 microphone.  Listeners preferred equalization that was flat (0) from DC to about 1K, then sharply emphasized at higher frequencies up to the top.

While I can't hear it from my operating position, they tell me that this sort of equalization creates a voice signal that is more readable than a simple flat response, with this mic.  Note that this setting is quite a bit different from the default setting for this mic.

I turn voice processing on, but leave the slider at the "normal" position.  This compresses the voice signal some, but not so much that it contains compression artifacts.

My 2 cents.

Dave, KK6FCH

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    There are several threads already related to audio setup and TX EQ. Many of them offer excellent advice. I will not repeat it here, but encourage you to search the community postings. Myself and many others have given some specific recommendations for the Heil PR781 and other mikes in that family. Some of those recommendations have "evolved" over the course of the past year as experience and software revisions required changes. The more recent posts should carry more weight. If you would like more advice after reading these posts, please contact me. Ken - nm9p (at) yahoo (dot) com.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Here is one that may be useful, search for: How to set up a PR-781 with the FLEX-6000
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    ok  get your headset out  adjust          and monitor results  . Set the power out slide to 0   . 

Or      you can press record  (Red Button) talk  (Press red again)  and play back by pressing (green  button)     it is darn good on how it works.

The result should be up to you 

• np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    First.

The marvelous eq ,proc, dexp, and that "hand mike. " on your flex. Will not provide that. Ultimate audio quality that some audio guys listen for .

Secondly. Understanding the first point puts you into looking for what will. . Some use w2ihy gear. ( the easiest to get reliable results) Some use multiple rack gear pieces. ( loads of stuff out there that in combination work) Some use electronic processing. (Every possibility known to man ) And in very rare times some use nothing at all As their voice is a perfect audio combination. (Very rare. )

So there is no easy. Way to tell you what to do

As for the settings in the flex. They are ok and through experimentation. You can figure out a plausible result.
    Which usually can be similar to someone's effort but different because it is you. Asking "how do I sound". Will result in some pretty startling statements. Since most of us cannot hear. Your in trouble

As for mikes (one of the keys to the palace.) Don't buy until you have listened to as many as you can. Un processed or eq ed
    Use whatever you first got for the interim and look to move on .

There are far better selections for audio mikes out there than what the casual ham uses . And trying to make them work for you is part of the fun of audio.

One absolute necessity is to produce enough audio out of the mike to be able to work with it. Hence a preamp usually is the first stage after the mike. . All the mikes tell you in their specs what the output is. Most need that pre amp.

Sometime during this selection and play time you will also learn about that magic. 0 DBM. Spot. And all those levels that have to be correct .

The flex produces fantastic audio. Right up there with the best. Radios out there

Please excuse me. As I'm back to the headset and monitoring

The perfect settings profile. I'm still looking As for rec. eq I only use that for cw.
  • John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited April 2015
    Excellent explanation Ed.....   I would like to add.... Don't limit yourself to just one microphone... Beyond popular belief, there are many more microphone choices beside HEIL stuff...  Do your own research and see which one best suits you...and there are many...Rode nt-1, re20, re27,sm7b ..just to name a few.... You most likely will find that what works for someone else doesn't work for you....It's just trial and error til find your combination. Ed is right ...a decent preamp is a real asset and then build from there.

John

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.