Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Need Remote Timeout to prevent a remote from Hogging the Radio

K2CM
K2CM Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
I am sharing my Flex 6700 with several other hams using VPN ,so that they can use it periodically when I am not using lit.  They VPN into my LAN at the house, use my radio, then disconnect.  Work likes like a charm! (SSB, Digital)

Have had an issue with Remote Operation whereby a PC on the LAN is using the Flex 6700; but, when the operator is done, he does not disconnect and leaves SmartSDR running.  Thus, he is still using the radio. (I seem to be guilty of this too.)

Is there anyway to put an "activity timer" in the setup to automatically disconnect and shut the software if there is no activity for a specified period of time....say 10-20 minutes as desired.  We have an automatic antenna disconnect that disconnects the antenna after 30 minutes of no activity; but, cannot figure out how to reset the Flex.  I can probably expand the antenna disconnect to do this; but, would prefer a software solution

At this point, my only option is to reboot the Flex 6700.

Comments

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I posted something similar several months ago.. but can't find it via the less than useful search facility

HOWEVER.. a Timeout is not really good enough for Remote Operation

SSDR really needs a way to initiate a positive Remote Disconnect...rather than a passive Time Out.

Simple example:
    You are working SSDR in your shack and decide to go to bed in your bedroom and continue with the Maestro...

But you forgot to **** SSDR.. so you currently need to get out of bed, walk back to the shack and **** SSDR - or wait 30 (60?) minutes for a timer to **** it...

• Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Good TOPIC!

I would like the ability to boot a connection and connect AND the ability to turn the radio OFF via PSDR.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Then would we need a seperate software utility to talk to the SSDR so there are not two instances of SSDR running? In order to close the one in the shack with the remote, two are working at the same time?
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    To overcome the less than useful GetSatisfaction seach facility (as I concur on), use google with the arguments flex and whatever real search key you are looking for, maybe like flex remote disconnect ky6la
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Question...can a person log in to their router control screen and disconnect someone's VPN connection and dump them from the rig? Then connect yourself? Or does SSDR try to maintain their connection if they have not logged out?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    My experience is that SSDR will disconnect if it is logged out of the network.

Simple test --- start SSDR on K6TU Ipad Remote...
    Remove the WiFi Connection on the iPad
    You should now be able to connect SSDR local again with a desktop

BUT you really need to be able to remotely disconnect that external  or even more important that internal device when you are remote.

• Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Remote into the PC, bring up TASK Manager and **** SSDR
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Bill, I used to know the utility in Windows to "**** processname".
    Internally it does a ps on the running processes, greps for the process with the processname specified on the cmd line and terminates it. I think it came with sysinternals. Peter would know. My point being one doesn't have to manually remote in and bring up task mgr etc.
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
         Process Explorer (Procexp.exe), part of sysinternals does that.  I don't
    think it can work via a command line, however.
         Taskkill /IM  (processname.exe) can work from a command line, though.

Ned,  K1NJ
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The problem is, there's really no generic way to know if a desktop application is "active" or not, particularly when it s being run via an alternate session (such as when you login via RDP). SSDR is still displaying stuff, still using CPU time..... So, it's tough to determine programmatically that SSDR is idle. If you know for sure, you should be able to just stop the process from your desktop as others have suggested. Peter K1PGV
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Well, that's certainly a point but wasn't the premise of the thread, essentially, 'your 20 minutes are up' ****, you're done now. If taskkill, thanks Ned, can't find 'smartsdr' as a running process then its a nop. Jim, nop is a assembler mnemonic for 'no operation'.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.