Need Help to Interface a ALS 1306 and a Flex-6500

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered

I had posted this earlier but non of the suggestions worked I have also posted on the DDUTIL site but also no luck. I have confirmed that the cable and the ALS-1306 is working fine through my TS-2000 and that the USB to serial is working fine. DDutil is configured properly to see the 6500 and it shows the frequency I am on and will follow as I change it. This is as far as I can go does anyone know the next steps.

73s Dennis KM6DF    

Photo of Dennis Daniel KM6DF

Dennis Daniel KM6DF

• 91 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Terry Tankersley

Terry Tankersley

• 58 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes

It will not work thru the usb it has to go thru the parallel  port. I have the 6300 and a ALS-1300 that works great.

Terry

K7NY

Dennis Daniel KM6DF

• 91 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Thanks Terry I was hoping to use the serial port I don't have a parallel port. unless some one has a better idea I'll need to order a board for my computer. I did talk with Ameritron and they said it should work if the cable is correct and they know of some hams that have been successful. Of course they didn't have any contacts. Thanks Again
Photo of Brian - W9HLQ

Brian - W9HLQ

• 51 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Dennis, did you get the ALS-1306 to interface with the Flex?  My computer has no parallel port, and I am thinking of trying a USB to parallel adapter.  Have you heard of a better solution?  Tnx,   Brian, W9HLQ
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 25 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Brian - check the post by Richard Kemp about a month ago "Will this work for Auto Band changing for Ameritron ALS-1306 to A Flex 6300?".  The solution posted there is to buy two cables - one from Ameritron for interfacing a Kenwood radio to the amp, and the other to connect between that cable and the FLEX (a Startech-ICUSB232FTN cable).  From feedback by David Livingston in that conversation that combination works great with his 6700.  I'm betting that you must have version 1.10.x installed on the FLEX in order to get the needed output on the USB port.  I'm going to try it myself very soon.  73,  Mark N4EOC.
(Edited)
Photo of David - AB1XG

David - AB1XG

• 14 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I'm using this solution on my 6500 using SmartSDR 2.0.19.

You'll need a straight through adapter to connect the transceiver side DB9 connector on the Kenwood cable to the DB9 connector on the StarTech cable as both are female plugs. DO NOT use the null modem adapter to tie the two cables together, use the straight through adapter.

Connect the amp end of the Kenwood cable to the amp, the USB end on the StarTech cable goes into the back of the radio. 

With my 6500 and SmartSDR 2.0.19, I checked CAT cable status under settings >> USB Cables. It should be enabled.

Works perfectly here. No DDUTIL needed.

David AB1XG
(Edited)

Dennis Daniel KM6DF

• 91 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes

Terry one more question not needing the ARI -500 what is the pin-out you used

73 Dennis KM6DF

Photo of Doug Hall

Doug Hall

• 211 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
Dennis,
I don't have a 1306, so take this with a grain of salt. But it seems to me that you're almost there. My understanding is that the ALS-1306 will talk to a serial port on the TS-2000 with a proper cable. If you have the TS-2000 cable you should be able to use a serial port on your PC configured as a repeater with DDUtil. I believe (again, I don't have this amp and haven't tried this) that you will need a null modem adapter between the PC and the ALS-1306 if you are using the cable supplied by Ameritron.

You know that DDUtil is talking to your radio properly since it displays frequency correctly. If you configure a serial port on your PC as a repeater and connect it to the amp correctly I think you'll have a working solution. Don't give up on the serial port approach until you have exhausted all your options - it's simpler than configuring and wiring up a parallel port.

Doug K4DSP

Dennis Daniel KM6DF

• 91 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes

Thanks Doug I got it to kinda working and it works as a rapeater and as a passave listener however  it is not consistent you must start and restart the ALS-1300 to get the connention to work. I did use the Null Modem. Ok so to get it to work you must go to repeat for it to see the amp but will not switch bands so then you go to passive listerner and it will switch bands. Any ideas??

Thanks

Dennis KM6DF

Photo of Doug Hall

Doug Hall

• 211 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
Sorry, I'm not sure where to go next. I just looked over the DDUtil page and it does seem that setting up a passive listener is the way to go - you shouldn't need a repeater at all. What options are available, and what do you have selected when you configure the passive listener? Can you post a screen shot of your passive listener port configuration?
Doug

Dennis Daniel KM6DF

• 91 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Here is the screen two setup screens

Dennis Daniel KM6DF

• 91 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Here is the other one

Dennis Daniel KM6DF

• 91 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes

Update on the ALS-1306 setup.

To start the problems i was having was the USB to Serial Adapter = Currection used a PCI Serial Board.

AME-DB DB7DK Amaritron serial cable needs a Null Modem at computer end

Startup sequence is very important ( DDUtil >radio and Amp > SMARTSDR software)

I also only needed to use the RCP1 Cat Port with B Cast

Setup AutoDrive to protect the amp be sure to use BOBC very important with a HF AUTO however it would be nice to have it go back to operate once you complete the tuning prosess.

So this is my current setup that is working so far. i will attach my screens

73 All

Dennis

Dennis Daniel KM6DF

• 91 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
ALS-1306 Screen 2

Dennis Daniel KM6DF

• 91 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
ALS-1306 Screen 3
Photo of WX7Y

WX7Y

• 729 Posts
  • 146 Reply Likes
I just tried one of the FTDI UT232R-200 USB to serial port cables with Dennis's DDUTIL settings and works great .  
Thanks a lot Dennis for your settings 
I have a write up on what I did for my Interface Cable to the AMP I built from scratch, no need to buy the Ameritron Kenwood cable.

73's
Bret
WX7Y
Photo of Bob G   W1GLV

Bob G W1GLV

• 737 Posts
  • 131 Reply Likes
Can we see the write up? Thanks
Photo of WX7Y

WX7Y

• 729 Posts
  • 146 Reply Likes
Here is the RS-232 cable connections

Ameritron ALS1306 RADIO control cable and connectors wiring for using DDUTIL and probably  the FLEX SmartSDR 1.10 for RS232 AMP band control using the UT232R-200 FTDI USB to Serial adapters that FLEX sells and recommends.

(Haven't tested on SmartSDR 1.10 but should work)

Use shielded CAT5 or better Ethernet jumper cable.

Using two DB9F to RJ45 Adapters for the RS-232 Cable

The Black RJ45 to DB9 Female adapters I used are the following colors YOURS WILL BE DIFFERENT!

RJ45 side NOT the DB9 Side. (Be sure to ohm out YOUR connectors before installing pins)

1=Black

2=Yellow

3=Orange

4=Red

5=Green

6=Brown

7=Grey

8=Blue

ALS1306 DB9F connections to RJ45 Which is wired for both RS-232 and DCB control so the same end can be used for both.

AMP End

DB9F

1=DCB B Black

2=DCB A Brown

3=RX Data Orange RS232 levels Kenwood (reversed so NO Null Modem adapter required)

4=TX Data Yellow RS232 levels Kenwood (reversed so NO Null Modem adapter required)

5=ICOM (not used on FLEX)

6=Ground Green

7=Amp Key Red (not used on FLEX)

8=DCB D Blue

9=DCB C Grey

Mating to the UT232R-200 FTDI USB to Serial adapters (Computer or Radio) end of the cable

DB9F

2=RX Data Yellow

3=TX Data Orange

5=Ground Green

Hope this isn't to confusing

And I don't know why it got double spaced half way through the Paste

73's

Bret

WX7Y

(Edited)

Terry Tankersley

• 58 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hi Bret, I am using DDU with a Parallel card now to band change my ALS-1300. My RJ45 is wired
RJ45 pin 7- BCD data A
         pin 6-         data B
         pin 5          data C
         pin 4          data D
         pin 1          ground
It looks like others data pins are reversed and use pin 3 for ground. I bought the C232HM-EDHSL-O cable and want to wire it right. Have u figured out which pins to use with this cable?
Thank u
Terry K7NY

Terry Tankersley

• 58 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I am going to try
RJ45 pin 7 to FTDI orange
         pin 6              yellow
         pin 5              green
         pin 4              brown
         pin 1              black
and see if mit works on the 1300.
Terry K7NY
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9183 Posts
  • 3529 Reply Likes
Terry - if you get it working, document your setup and we'll get it into the USB Cable Interface doc.  Just contact me directly by e-mail (tim@[the-company-first-name].com

Terry Tankersley

• 58 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I sent u a email Tim.
This is what work's for the ALS-1300 and will work for the ALS-600
ARI-500 RJ45            FTD C232HM-EDHSL-0
pin 7- data A            pin 2- orange
pin 6- data B            pin 3- yellow
pin 5- data C            pin 4- green
pin 4- data D            pin 5- brown
pin 1- ground           pin 10- black

Terry
K7NY

Dennis Daniel KM6DF

• 91 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Terry do you have PTT control also through the cable
Dennis km6df

Dennis Daniel KM6DF

• 91 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I got my UGreen FTDI usb cable yesterday from amazon and set up my ALS-1306. I already had the Amariton Kenwood Cable and the null modem. This was a plug and play setup. plugged the Kenwood cable into the AMP at the other end the null modem then the USB to serial Cable.   In the Flex usb cable setup to "CAT" made no other changes. Amp is working perfectly with the Flex 6500. Again you will not have the ability to reset amp or put it in standby.  I have one request however, it would be nice to be able to turn off the amp relay during tuning so not to trip the amp when changing bands or frequencies.  
Photo of Bob Cheek

Bob Cheek

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have a solution that I created for my Flex 6300 and Ameritron ALS-1306.  It is a app that uses a CAT port to communicate with the ALS-1306 via a RS-232 port.  I made a simple cable with three wires (and a drain) to go between the RS-232 port and the Radio Interface on the 1306. 

It works great, it is simple, the cable is easy to make, and the amp tracks the Flex instantly. 

My computer does not have an RS-232 port, but I have a USB to RS-232 adapter that I use for CAT for a Yaesu radio and serial com to a PK-232 and that works fine with this app.  The USB to RS-232 adapter I have has four RS-232 ports on it so I am good on RS-232 ports. 

I have attached a screen shot of the app.  You just start it and turn your amp on and it goes.  You can select the comm ports and the app saves them when it is closed. 

If you're interested get in touch with me, I'm good on QRZ.

Regards,
Bob - N4RFC
Photo of WX7Y

WX7Y

• 729 Posts
  • 146 Reply Likes
Here is a simplified version of my previous post for interfacing the ALS1306 to the Flex 6000 series OR it also works with DDUTIL

The easiest is the FTDI USB to RS-232 UT232R200.

Mating to the UT232R-200 FTDI USB to Serial adapter (Computer or Radio) end of the cable

AMP End                                                                                                                   Radio End

DB9F on the AMP                                                                                                  DB9F, mating cable to the FTDI UT232R200 cable

3=RX Data  (reversed so NO Null Modem adapter required)    ---     2=RX Data

4=TX Data  (reversed so NO Null Modem adapter required)   ---      3=TX Data

6=Ground                                                                                                     ---       5=Ground

for the FTDI BCD cable it requires 5 wires 

Sorry the other post was confusing 
The adapters I used in my previous post uses a Ethernet cable 8 pin RJ45 to DB-9 adapter and just's lets you plug into a DB-9 adapter and the adapter on the AMP end would work with either RS-232 or BCD and tried to make it universal. 

Hope this helps 

Bret
Photo of Charlie

Charlie

• 24 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
My 6500 and ALS 1306 work great with the USB port.  Purchased  the Kenwood TS 2000 cable with the 1306 and connected it to this:

Wirenest
FTDI USB to Null Modem DB9F Serial Adapter - Full Hardware Handshake
Only 7 left in stock - order soon.
Arrives before Christmas.
Want it Thursday, Dec. 7? Order within 19 hrs 9 mins and choose Two-Day Shipping at checkout. Details
Sold by Wirenest and Fulfilled by Amazon. Gift-wrap available.
FTDI USB to Null Modem DB9F Serial Adapter - Full Hardware Handshake

• USB to Null Modem DB9F wired with all handshake data lines
  • FTDI chipset for easy setup and reliable operation. Fully compatable with 32 and 64 bit Windows OS, Mac, Linux
  • RX TX activity LED's to monitor data flow
  • 6ft Flexible cable with molded connectors on both ends

Here are the usb settings for the device:

Works great, amp follows radio.  Use it remotely all the time.  Have had no problems at all.  Worked great on day one.