Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

near field probe

Keith Nishihara
Keith Nishihara Member
edited April 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
It seems like the Flex radios could be used as a spectrum analyzer with a near field probe to track down sources of RFI in the shack.   Can anyone recommend a dyi design for a probe that would work in the HF bands?  I've come across designs in the GHz range but nothing for HF yet.
Thanks -- Keith KH6FQR

Answers

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I set this thing up just to see how it worked and I got division by zero errors and a message saying that an outgoing call cannot be made since the application is dispatching an input-synchronous call.
  • James Del Principe
    James Del Principe Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Why not keep it simple and just connect a length of coax (RG58 for example) to the rec port and a few turns of wire at the other end. Seems it should work.    73, Jim
  • Keith Nishihara
    Keith Nishihara Member
    edited June 2016
    Hi James,   Thanks, I'll try that.  I was just checking to see if anyone had any experience doing this already.  It seems like the Flex could be a useful tool for this sort of thing.  It is certainly capable of  "seeing" much more RFI than my other radios ;-)  
  • James Del Principe
    edited June 2016
    Keith, I agree that is an interesting idea..One of those "Why didn't I think of that" ....just be sure not to over drive it.    Micro volts are fine. More is not.      73,, Jim
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016

Sometimes the simplest solution is the most BRILLIANT

Just tried your suggestion myself with a 50 OHM resistor soldered across the end of a piece of coax.. worked ... was able to see RFI sources

Now to design a small coil with 50 ohm impedance @14.2MHz   for even better sensitivity

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

To save you guys doing the math:

50 Ohm Coll @14.2MHz = 0.561 Micro Henries

Using a 2" diameter toilet roll...

4 turns x 2" diameter x 2" length = 0.552 Micro Henries

So all you need to do to make a HF Probe is to take an empty toilet paper roll, wind 4 turns over 2" length and you have close to 50 ohm probe...

Or use a small 1/4" Dowel (pencil)

36 turns x 1/4" x 4" = 0.492 microhenries

• James Del Principe
    edited June 2016
    Howard, I love the use of a toilet paper roll... should be a standard for hams. I have wound many a project coil on them. Thanks for the info. 73, Jim
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016

Ironic... The first ever crystal radio I built 65 years ago used a toilet paper roll for the tuning coil.

For you younger guys... we had toilet paper back then too....

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Howard is younger than me. We had corn cobs and Sears and Sears & Roebuck catalogs.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016

We actually used newspaper until we could afford real toilet paper....from which I stole the empty rolls for inductor forms...

• Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    A small one turn loop and 50ohm resistor in series on the end of the coax works well.
    Andrew de vk5cv
  • James Del Principe
    edited June 2016
    That's what Sears catalogs were for.
    On a technical side, why would the pickup coil need to be 50 Ohms when we are only trying to couple a few microvolts into the rcvr?   we're not looking for maximum energy transfer by matching impedance.   73, Jim
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Depends on the signal you are trying to see. The 6000 Series is an instrument capable of accurately displaying signals down to a range of -140dBm (20 nV) across a 50 ohm load. So if your trying to maximize the laboratory capability of the device you should use a 50 ohm load. On the other hand, if you are just trying to roughly see what RFI spurs are around then you don't need a resonant circuit. It took me less than 5 minutes to build a resonant probe so no big effort required BTW. Thanks to everyone for the idea.
  • Keith Nishihara
    Keith Nishihara Member
    edited June 2016
    Yes thanks all for the information and interesting discussion!  One other note -- use the Rx input rather than the Tx/Rx connector -- you don't want to accidentally send 100 watts out to your probe ;-)  
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016

Just to be an absolute technonerd about this, I just spent the last hour playing with my vector network analyzer to tune the probe to exactly 50.0 ohms @14.200MHz.

I guess I have too much time on my hands this morning (more likely Jet Lag effects)...

Again... Thank you Keith for the idea and James for thinking of a simple probe  solution.. I have already used the probe to find an RFI source that was bugging me and my other test instruments could not see... 

Now I plan to play around designing a few different size probes...to see if I can get them into hard to reach places....

• James Del Principe
    edited June 2016
    Now I know why I like this forum so much. Great ideas and shared information. Really stimulates my interest. What a super bunch of guys!!!     Please share your designs with us.... I can see many uses for this.      Jim
  • James Del Principe
    edited June 2016
    What???    You don't want a really high powered signal generator???    LOL      Good point. Jim
  • Kevin Va3KGS
    Kevin Va3KGS Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017

I have a probe that I made just as Paul suggests, I left the centre conductor wire insulated so that when I was probing around in the radios I would not short things out!!  Worked great for reading on the frequency counter.  Also made a few probes on a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe with an SO239 connector for change ability.

Good Luck

Kevin, Va3KGS

• James Del Principe
    edited July 2016
    Great paper. Very in-depth.    Shows how a simple subject/idea can be so sophisticated.          Jim
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes, great paper, thanks for the link....

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.