Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

NB and APF need improvement

W5UN_Dave
W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
edited February 2019 in New Ideas
My Flex 6700 is becoming my primary rig, I love it. However, the NB and APF are still not where they need to be.

First APF. As I continue comparing the APF on my K3 with my Flex 6700, K3 still wins. Here is why:  K3 APF seems to have a more definite and pleasing sound, it truly peaks. In addition, moving the peak to the right frequency is easier on the K3. The Flex 6700 needs some means to tune the APF frequency independent of the main tuning. I use RIT to do this now, but there has to be a better way, because I often forget to turn RIT off after disabling the APF. Furthermore, the RIT step is 10 hz, and the APF needs a 5 hz (or even 1 hz) tuning step.

What is the BW of the APF? I think the K3 has a BW of around 5 or 10 hz, and the adjustment knob moves in 5 kz steps (I think this is correct).  I also agree with earlier comments made by Al/NN4ZZ concerning APF improvements. I have made many 160 meter DX QSO's with signals that would not have been made without the APF on my K3. Please improve the SmartSDR  APF so I can say the same thing about my 6700.

Second NB. As the NB is configured now, it is almost useless here. I look forward to when FRS will improve NB performance to the same level as that of the NB's on the Flex 5000. FRS, do you not have the code already written for this? Or is the programming totally different?

Comments

• Mike KD2CJJ
    Mike KD2CJJ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I won't pull the trigger on a purchase until the NB is functioning. the NR is the other function that I expect to be working before I purchase the unit.
  • ik2egl
    ik2egl Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I noted a big inpruvement  in APF dsp  in CW. with the last smartsdr release c!

Now I am able to read signal with APF that I without I am not able to

I really appreciate it 

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Don,
    Agree it is better in the last V1.2 but some think it could still use improvement.  See link for details. 

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/ssdr_v1_2_apf_could_use_more_gain_it_seems_diminish...

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Tnx Al. Lets keep this going until it is "right"
  • Larry Davis
    Larry Davis Member ✭✭
    edited May 2014
    i been telling them about the nb for 8 months now hope there getting close to fixing it glad i didn,t get rid of the 5000
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
        Sure would be nice to see this fix along with the power level fix in an interim release.  Field
    day (sometimes noise-prone) and the June VHF contest are coming soon.

Ned, K1NJ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.