Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

N4PY Pegasus Plus Recommendation

Mark Erbaugh
Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I encourage any Flexers to try Carl's (N4PY) Pegasus Plus software for their 6000 series.

While I can operate the 6300 just fine using the SSDR interface by itself, I find that most of the time, I prefer using Pegasus Plus. For those new to SDR radios, it provides a more "traditional" front panel radio experience.

Carl is great to work with. I mentioned to him that I had a need for XIT (to work digital stations in split mode). A couple days later, I got an email that he had added it. I've since used XIT to log several of the W1AW portable stations on digital.

Comments

• K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Carl's software also supports the FlexControl and, with even more capabilities, the T-Mate 2 console from Woodbox. 

I have my T-Mate knobs set up for VFO A, AGC Threshold, and a multi knob for Volume, RIT, CW Delay, Sidetone volume, and VFO B.  The T-Mate 2 buttons I also set for "up 1" and Tune.  Very handy!

Carl does a super job of supporting the software and it makes using the Flex a real pleasure.

73 de K1ESE
    John
  • Charles Talbott
    edited February 2020
    Can the Flex SmartSDR and Pegasus Plus be loaded on my computer and selectively run?  In other words, can I choose which one I want to use during start-up with both programs loaded?

Since I have to click on the Icon for SmartSDR to run it anyway, it would seem this is entirely possible

73, Charlie k3ICH

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I've struggled to figure out what the benefits are to the N4PY software. I'm sure there are some but it seems like just an another layer of complexity. I'm sure I'm missing something. 
    Certainly having manual controls like the Tmate would be wonderful. Trying to find the sidetone volume quickly so I don't wake up the xyl or when I'm using my right hand to op the key and the left hand isn't coordinated well enough to operate a mouse quickly can be a problem but running N4PY and SSDR at the same time seems a bit redundant. How can you watch the pan-adapter and N4PY software at the same time? Wouldn't that take up a lot more screen real-estate?
  • K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    You can start SmartSDR and run it alone or you can have both SmartSDR and N4PY running in order to get the extra functionality of N4PY.

73 de K1ESE
    John
  • K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Steve -

I've used N4PY for years and am familiar with it.  It is nice to have the same interface for my Flex, my K3, and my Orion.

N4PY does some things easier than SmartSDR - all the controls are visible and not buried in menus.  N4PY does some things better than SmartSDR - splits come to mind.  N4PY interfaces with lots of peripherals - tuners, amps, consoles, and such.

You watch only SmartSDR and glance at N4PY only when you are entering commands and adjusting parameters.

My desktop looks like this with SmartSDR and N4PY and DXLab -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3962kgtke6p57ju/SmartSDR-N4PY%20Desktop.jpg?dl=0

73 de K1ESE
    John

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Thanks John but to me it looks like more of the same thing only presented in a different manner and eating up a bunch of screen. You still have to locate the control, aim the mouse, click then drag. 
    I don't get it.
    Steve N4LQ
  • I0JBL - Luc
    I0JBL - Luc Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I use my 6500 with Pegasus Plus and I am very satisfied and, as John K1ESE, I can use either the Flex or my two K3 with a familiar interface. The configuration capability is important as the Carl's customer care. Does anyone use Pegasus Plus with Logger32 to just to share experience?
    73 es DX
    Luciano, I0JBL
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    So it's a matter of familiarity? You have trouble going from the k3's knobs to SSDR's screen? 
    I do run Logger32 here but don't need Pegasus Plus to do that. It just runs fine without that and of course I use SmartCat. 
    I have no doubt that what you're doing works but to me it seems like extra baggage. 
    Now if I had a TenTec Pegasus maybe I would see it differently.
    Steve N4LQ
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited February 2017
    I want to point out that Carl (N4PY) is in the API program and is using the native SmartSDR API in Pegasus Plus which gives him complete access to all the functions of the radio with a lot more seamless and faster interface than CAT.  This is why it works so well with the FLEX-6000.
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Steve
    OK...What does P+ do better than CAT? 
    What do you mean by "seamless, faster and works so well"? 
    To me it just appears like another screen that does the same thing as SSDR. What am I  missing?
    steve N4LQ
  • Carl Moreschi
    Carl Moreschi Member
    edited March 2017
    Logger32 can be easily interfaced with Pegasus Plus.  All you need to do is configure Logger32 for a Tentec Pegasus and specify the folder where you installed Pegasus Plus (default c:
    4py).  This will cause Logger32 to interface to Pegasus Plus through a file and not use a comport at all.
  • I0JBL - Luc
    I0JBL - Luc Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    GE Steve,
    we are not talking about an object can be decisive either as a receiver or an antenna.
    We are talking about an interface that, in my experience, has greatly simplified my life.
    Just the fact that as soon as I plugged it, it worked, I was moved to tears! 
    The Flex's world, for me, is not a trivial world.
    And like me there are many others who often ask for support and "How to ...." to receive suggestion how to link different softwares whit different accessories.
    From this point of view P+ is an excellent interface and on the mean time I agree with you that is not mandatory. 
    Like, for instance, the Flex Control and the Tmate 2 that are both only two interface but not mandatory as well.  
    With FC and TM2 operate with SSDR is more easy.  That's it.
    Good DX
    Luciano, I0JBL

P. S. Carl tnx for the tip on how to interface with P+ and Logger32. Tomorrow I'll try it.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Steve

You are missing the fact that P+ works through the Gigabit Ethernet NATIVE FLEX API not through a SLOW, Flacky Serial CAT Port

So rather being limited to the performance of 20th Century Serial Port Technology with the limited CAT Command Set as defined by Flex and Kenwood the 21st Century FLEXLIB API has access to all the functions of the radio including many that are not available due to the limitations of the Serial Port CAT Command Set.

Personally I am not enamored of the simulation of the knob interface in P+ which i find to be a less than useful throwback to the 20th century... it might be useful for continuity of operations, if I still owned some legacy radios

But I am definitely impressed with the fact that CARL has successfully incorporated so many features seamlessly into P+
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    It is still not clear to me what advantage this software gives over SSDR on its own. Are there any videos? In the mean time, I'll give the trial version a whirl.

TIA
  • Carl Moreschi
    Carl Moreschi Member
    edited July 2019
    Yes, the program will run for 10 days without a password for you to try out.
    To configure the program for a Flex 6000 radio:
       a)  Start the program.
       b)  Select "Settings" at the top of the Radio screen.
       c)  In the "Interface" window, select "Flex 6000" from the
           Kenwood list box.
       d)  Exit the program.
       e)  Start the program again and you should be running.

"Flex 6000"
          This selection is for using the Flex 6000 series radios.
          The program connects directly to the Flex 6000 radio and operates
          as a control extension for SmartSDR.  Both the Flex 6000 and
          SmartSDR must be running when the N4PY program is started.  Also
          slice A should be already created before starting Pegasus Plus.
          Please note SmartSDR CAT is no longer required or used at all.

You must be using SmartSDR version 1.3.0 or later.

This will allow simple control for frequency, mode and filter.
          Also if you want the FlexKnob to be controlled by Pegasus Plus
          (highly desirable), turn off the FlexKnob setting in SmartSDR.

Pegasus Plus now will set the Flex radio receive ant to RX A
          and set the transmit ant to XVTR for transverter use.  When you leave
          the transverter band, these antenna settings will be restored to
          ANT 1.  There is also a selection on each transverter setting for
          which TX OUT connection to use for transmit control for each
          transverter.

There are two new buttons on the Pegasus Plus radio panel for the
          Flex 6000.  They are as follows:

VFOA=A
            Clicking this button will give you a list of all possible slices
            in the 6000.  You can reassign the Pegasus Plus VFO A to any
            availble slice shown on SmartSDR.  In order to reassign a slice
            to VFO A, the slice must exist and not be assigned to VFO B.
            Also, "split" must be off when this assignment is done.

VFOB=B
            Clicking this button will give you a list of all possible slices
            in the 6000.  You can reassign the Pegasus Plus VFO B to any
            availble slice shown on SmartSDR.  In order to reassign a slice
            to VFO B, the slice must exist and not be assigned to VFO A.
            Also, "split" must be off when this assignment is done.

When you click "Split", if the VFO B slice does not exist,
            it will be create automatically.

The "RF" slider actually controls the AGC threshold for the slice
            associated with VFO A.

The "VA" slider controls the volume for the slice associated with
            VFO A and the "VB" slider controls the volume for the slice
            associated with VFO B.

PreAmp 0
            This button will send the preamp value to the Flex 6000.  It will
            remember this setting by band.  Left clicking this button will reduce
            the preamp value and right clicking will increase the value.  For
            the 6300, the values are 0 and 20 db.  For the 6500, the values are
            -10, 0, 10, and 20 db.  The 6700 has all the 6500 values plus a 30 db
            value.  For the 6700, the preamp value is only changed for the receiver
            assigned to slice A.

If Pegasus Plus is stuck at "Waiting to Connect" and SmartSDR is
       connected to the Flex 6000, it is most likely because Windows Firewall
       is blocking it.

To allow Pegasus Plus to run and not be blocked by Windows Firewall, do
       the following:

1) Click "Start".
       2) Select "Control Panel".
       3) Select "Windows Firewall".
       4) Click on "Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall.
       5) Click on "Browse" and navigate to the folder where you installed
          Pegasus Plus (default c:
    4py).
       6) Click on BBTRX1.EXE and then click "Open".
       7) Finally click "Add".

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Let me know what you find out Guy. I haven't seen any big advantages to it other than a good way to relieve yourself of $65. 
  • Carl Moreschi
    Carl Moreschi Member
    edited July 2019
    Hi Steve,

I remember you from the Tentec reflector.  You were always very helpful there.
    There are many advantages for P+.

It connects to many amplifiers and rotors.
    It has some controls that are more convenient that SmartSDR such at PBT and RIT.
    It provides comport connectivity to logging programs, CW Skimmer, and DX Spotting programs.
    It provides a very easy way to turn on split with just one action.  You can define a "UP 1" key.  By clicking it a second slice is created and set to VFO A +1.  Subsequent clicks move you up one more on each click.
    It has many more functions for the Flex Knob and also allows you to use the WoodBox radio Tmate2 which as 3 knob and 9 buttons.
    It has a full set of band buttons with a separate set for CW and SSB allowing you to instantly change bands in one click.

These are just a few of the many advantages.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2020
    I would encourage you to actually use P+ in demo mode before drawing any conclusions on its value.  If you don't think it is worth the investment, then you can vote with your wallet.  Or maybe provide Carl some constructive comments as to why you believe it isn't a good value so he can evaluate their merit.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Thanks to all the input chaps. I'll give it a good go, but I remain to be convinced. If I had or could afford the Tmate2 after buying my 6300 and Flexcontrol, I'd get it in a shot.

Also, after I have (I think) mastered SmartCAT and got everything working (mostly) I do not want to upset the applecart with new software. I'll pay safe and clone my OS before experimenting.

Can a manual be downloaded separately so I can get up to speed without using up my 10 trial days?
  • Carl Moreschi
    Carl Moreschi Member
    edited December 2018
    Yes, the manual is near the bottom on the Pegasus Plus page.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Thanks Carl. I knew I saw it once, but **** if I could find it again. Thanks for the directions.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    I await ur learned test results.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I have just given Pegasus Plus an outing and I am underwhelmed. There are some very nice features that I would like to see in SSDR, no doubt at all about that. As they say with food, the first bite is with the eyes. The interface is primitive (aesthetically and functionally), the manual is poor (no illustrations, poor layout and the typeface – Courier, really) and out of date in places. I also found examples of conflicting information about FlexRadios as new bits have been added without modifying old bits. Maybe the manual should be re-written with chapters based on rigs rather than features? A useful chapter would be information on how to 'migrate' one's software choices away from CAT. I would not be prepared to lose any of the programs that I have decided to use or have any issues with which their support could not help.

The deal killer is that I cannot see any ‘must have’ features that would make me spend $65, reconfigure my working system and learn a new piece of software. If all the people who liked a PP feature would start a thread on the FRS forum, we could get the feature for free.

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

Carl N4PY's Control Software is good stuff - I've enjoyed the common interface whether running Old School CAT to a TenTec Pegasus & Jupiter, with PowerSDR for my Flex-5000 or with SmartSDR with my 6700/6300 radios.  I have also used it with an IC-7800.

Currently I do not have P+ running due to the (very soon) out going PC's limitations.  My new PC is ready to install (Thank you Neal !!) and it will return.

Much like the K6TU iPad app, P+'s utility for any user will greatly depend on their operating style.  It was absolutely revolutionary when I started with it and TenTec Pegasus and is "friendly familiar" in its latest uses in my setup.

Of course YMMV, but give P+ a whirl - the Ten Day trial should be a no-brainer to check out.  After a 100 or so QSO's you too may find it fits your shack style.

Steve

K9ZW

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Thanks for suffering through that for us Guy. 
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    ;-)
  • K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Guy -

Not every piece of software is for every ham. To me Pegasus Plus is a treasure, to you, not so much.

For example, I like the interface. But, I am more concerned with function than fluff. You can't expect to grasp every function without investing a bit of time. To me it is well worth the effort and has paid dividends every time I use the radio.

If pictures in the manual and the typeface in the manual are important, this certainly isn't the software for you. But, please accept that not everyone sees things the same way you do. Perhaps if you give something more than just an "outing" you would begin to see the advantages.   For example, it's the only software currently available that lets you assign any slice to VFO A and VFO B.

The real support comes from the author. Carl is readily available to answer questions of make improvements.

It appears you don't like the interface, don't like the manual, and would like some of the features without having to pay for them. I can understand all of that. But, I would encourage others to give it a realistic try and make their own decisions.

I will assume your concerns are valid and not just trolling for comments.

73 de K1ESE
    John

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I never for a moment expected anybody to see things as I do (don't know where you got the idea from) nor was I remotely insulting to anybody who likes the software. I did not say that I wanted some of the features for free I said that they could be available in SSDR if there were enough demand - a big difference in my eyes.

You read waaayyyy to much into what I wrote.

Relax, it's just an opinion on a computer program. You only mention one thing that the program can do - I would expect you to do better than that as you clearly love the program. I am happy to be convinced otherwise but nobody has managed.  TBH, I cannot see any reason to use the program even if it were free, let alone $65. Or putting it another way, I cannot see any benefit to using the program that outweighs the potential hassle in reconfiguring my setup.

I shall also be similarly kind to you and assume you were not trolling either.

Have a great weekend, honestly.
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    John: 
    What do you mean by "assign a slice to vfo A or B"? The slices are labeled A and B and seem to act like VFOs without reassigning them to another program. Believe me I'm trying to see the advantage here. I'm trolling for comments. 
  • Carl Moreschi
    Carl Moreschi Member
    edited November 2014
    This feature is really for the 6500 and 6700 that have more than 2 slice receivers.  You can assign the P+ VFO A to any slice on the radio and the P+ VFO B to any other slice on the radio.  So for example with a 6700, VFO A could be on slice D and VFO B could be on slice F.  As far as I know, no other software has this capability for the Flex 6000 series.  The other big benefits are instant split setting options, amplifier control, rotor control, antenna selection, all automatically based on frequency.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.