N3FJP and CW Keying on Flex-6400M

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
I'm getting ready for the IL QSO Party and want to setup my N3FJP contest program so it will operate the Flex 6400M in CW mode. Must I use a separate keying interface rather than just a virtual serial port? When I use one of the virtual serial ports (COM7) the MOX transmit light flashes and the receiver is muted but the radio does not actual transmit.

Any N3FJP/Flex experts been down this road before?

Tim N9PUZ
Photo of Tim N9PUZ

Tim N9PUZ

• 40 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Dennis ODell

Dennis ODell

• 33 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I went ahead and bought the keying interface from N3FJP.  It really sends quality Morse and it works with any radio.  You can also build your own interface, I think the details are on their page.
Photo of Ken Wells

Ken Wells, Employee

• 45 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Set up a Win Keyer emulator port in Smart CAT.
In ACLog, select the Winkeyer emulator option and use that port number.

N3FJP has help files that describe how to do it.
I have done it this way for several years.
Photo of Tim N9PUZ

Tim N9PUZ

• 40 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Ken --

Do you do this without actually having a physical Winkeyer? I looked on the N3FJP site and also contacted Scott. He pointed my to some information but indicated I needed an actual Winkeyer or other keying device.

If you have done this without a Winkeyer I would appreciate it if you could elaborate.

Tim N9PUZ

Photo of N8SDR

N8SDR

• 201 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
You can do it virtually with the flex  go into cat setup a winkeyer port

and point N3FJP to that point and setup as winkeyer

also works in N1MM , FLDIGI and anything else with the WinKeyer option like HRD DM780

Photo of Tim N9PUZ

Tim N9PUZ

• 40 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Thank you! I will work it out this evening.

Tim N9PUZ
Photo of Tim N9PUZ

Tim N9PUZ

• 40 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Based on the suggestions given I did some further research and in deed you can do this without adding any additional keying hardware. It works like a charm.

To recap:
  1. Create a new virtual serial port with the CAT control and set it to be configured as a Winkeyer. Remember the COM port.
  2. Configure whichever N3FJP logging program you're using to connect to a Winkeyer for CW Transmit and tell it to use the COM port from Step #1.
That's it. You are done and the N3FJP function keys work as advertised to send CW. This should work with any program that can use a Winkeyer.

Tim N9PUZ
Photo of Dennis ODell

Dennis ODell

• 33 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Based upon your results, I set mine up to work the same way.  I am getting the same flawless CW set up this way that I got using the serial port interface.  What I didn't understand at first is that there is literally a Winkeyer option when you're creating the new VSP, and I initially set up the port as a CAT port.  Once I figured out that there was a Winkeyer option in the port protocol dropdown menu in SmartCAT, it worked perfectly.  Flex really makes everything simple.

73, de N4QM
(Edited)
Photo of N8SDR

N8SDR

• 201 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
Yes anything with a winkey app- I haven't come across anything with that option it hasn't worked with. No hardware needed