Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

N1MM+ SO2R3V?

Bob N7ZO
Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows

I now have two 6700’s. (Thanks Steve, N5AC.  The 6700 is the only radio I have owned that has motivated me to buy two.)

6700 #1 is attached to HF and 6 meter antennas.  6700 #2 is attached to a DEMI 2 meter LPDA and a DEMI L432-28 and appropriate amps and antennas.  All these bands are on separate antennas.  Each 6700 has its own microphone and key.

I would like to play in this weekend’s ARRL VHF/UHF contest on three bands (6m,2m,70cm) simultaneously and use N1MM+ for logging.  How can I configure N1MM+?  Maybe two instances of N1MM+ on two computers running in networked mode with one instance of N1MM+ in SO2V?

73, Bob, N7ZO

Answers

• km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    That sounds like the way to do it, but you should be able to run the one instance of n1mm as so2r vice so2v. In addition, I think so2v is currently not supported by n1mm+ since v1.6
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    For SO2V, set it up as SO2R and enter the frequency on the second VFO manually on the rig the first time. Then it will track correctly.
  • Mike W8MM
    Mike W8MM Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Would 3 6700's work in the same fashion?
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Likely the best way to do this will be a computer for each 6700, and set N1MM+ on each computer in networked multiop mode.  so each instance on each computer N1MM+ set up as SO2R, and they keep a unified log by using the Multi-op network mode to keep all in sync.  In this confuguration you could use as many computer/n1mm/6700's as you want (or can afford).

For instance if I was running SO4R in ARRL RU, I would have computer 1 with 2 bands open on 6700 #1 and computer 2 with 2 bands open on 6700 #2. 

There is no real way to drive both 6700's from a single N1MM user interface instance.  Each 6700 will need its own computer, and instance of N1MM that will need to be individually controlled.

Make sense?
  • Mike W8MM
    Mike W8MM Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I considered the same scenario.  Since I am using Parallels virtual machine environment on my Mac Pro to run SmartSDR, logging, rotator control, etc., I was wondering if I launched extra virtual machines, each running an instance of N1MM+, and let them network together in Multi-Op mode through bridging would work.

Seem possible?
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Should work..  be interested in your experience with using VM instances and separate virtual NICs. 
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Mike, Ken, and Chris, thank you for noting that the paradigm changed to SO2R using the new OTRSP port with version SSDR 1.6.  I had forgotten this change.

I used Eric's how-to guide:
    http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/so2r-mode-with-n1mm-for-the-flex-6700-how-to-guide-pdf/
    and have 6700 #2 running N1MM+ 144 and 432 Mhz on my laptop with a Maestro as the control head. The Pause/Break key nicely toggles TX between slices and the tilde key allows audio from both slices when wanted.

I am running 6700 #1 on 50 MHz with my desktop PC using N1MM+ in SO1V mode. 

It was trivial to network the two instances of N1MM+ together:
    http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Multiple+Computer+and+Multi-Op+Contesting
    Kudos to the N1MM crew for making this feature so easy.

The only problem I am seeing is that the 6700 power level does not persist on the change from the 144 to the 432 slice.  It always jumps to 100% when TX changes to the 432 slice. (version 1.7.30)  I have tried saving profiles and have tried using both SSDR and Maestro.   Fortunately, my 432 transverter has an adjustment on the TX IF and I will just live with the 100% power for now. (I'll check later to see if this bug has already been reported in other threads.  If not, I'll start a new thread for it.)

73, Bob, N7ZO
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Can you set a max power figure in the 432 transverter setup in Ssdr? That might fix it.
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ken, good point.  I wish I'd thought of that before I re-adjusted the hardware.  :-)
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Bob sounds like you have a great handle on things. Sorry for not mentioning OTRSP but you found it and it sounds like so2r is working great cept for  power setting between band swaps. I have never networked n1mm but knew it was possible and sounds like it works very well. Nothing but the best of luck with the test.
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The ARRL VHF contest went very well with two 6700's.  SO2R in the VHF/UHF 6700 #2 worked perfectly (except for power persistence bug noted above) and N1MM+ networking was seamless.  I am quite pleased.

The irony of all this is that I may need some sort of external SO2R box after all.  I can cope with two microphones and two PTT switches, but swapping between two headphones was a pain.

73, Bob, N7ZO
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    As a side note, I only played with 6m for a bit  and short/weak openings are new for me ( as compared to hf ) but because of such openings, a pan fall was an important tool to have for such openings.

Audio wrt SO3R is kinda uncharted grounds. I do know an op who does so3r and so4r at times but that is for rtty tests where audio is not required.
  • Steve Gw0gei
    Steve Gw0gei Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Thanks for the info. I was at gw2op/p this weekend in rsgb 6m trophy contest - using a k3 in so2r and a second k3 as a third rx we had split tx into three antenna systems and so3r on rx side - only one headphone set for each of two ops and in addition to our normal three button switch (both audio feeds left and right ears press middle button, or press left or right button to get one stack in both ears once you realise which stack was best reception) to get the third rx stack into the system the audio for stack two and three were mixed and the main op could select to mute either of those feeds via a seperate two switch box. This system worked and similar could work for you Mike to avoid the need for a full so2r box. I missed the flex bandscope this weekend and hardly glanced at the p3 connected to the main k3s radio - confirms my view that a 6700 is my best option at home for hf and vhf so2r without an so2r box. I use two slices on my 6300 with kuhne tvtr onto 4m but when i get a 6700 i will use the native 4m from the 6700 to drive a second 4m amp and 2 x scu rx side to enable so3 rx in three different directions. Cheaper than 2xk3s radios, and i still find the k3 front panel way more confusing than driving my flex with mouse and flex knob. Happy contesting :-) 73 Steve gw0gei op at gw2op/p

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.