Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

n1mm delay

Richard Zalewski
Richard Zalewski Member ✭✭
edited August 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series

NAQP SSB with N1MM+. After a while (maybe 10-20 QSOs) I started having a lag before the SSB message would play.  This is all messages (CQ, Report, My Call).
After the delay it would play but then after a while the delay got longer and it started clipping the end of the message.
When I rebooted the Windows 10 computer it solved the problem but only for a short time and then the whole scenario started again.  I was not using SDR.

Comments

• Richard Zalewski
    edited August 2019
    This from N1MM support:

The delay clipping the end of the message sounds like the delay was accumulating in the Flex software.

If it occurs again, change the playback device to your computer soundcard. Leave the PTT unchanged.
  • Richard Zalewski
    edited August 2019
    I loaded up a new contest in N1MM.  And after just sitting idle in the computer the messages are acting up again.

• Richard Zalewski
    edited August 2019
    OK guys, I am leaving more hints than a coed looking for a date to the prom.  
    Tried this:  I loaded SDR and immediately everything worked fine.  Closed SDR and was working fine on the 6600M.  So again I am going to leave it idle and see if it comes back.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited August 2019
    Hi Richard

If I had this issue (and I don't), I would look more at the computer and seeing if your DPC's are increasing.

It sounds like it might be related to computer hardware (hard drive older than 3 years and in a constant state of repair - sadly, there is no reporting way to tell, but it is a real problem) or something else is consuming a lot of CPU time.  In short, you are likely I/O bound (IT Term).

Can you answer the following questions?
    • DPC numbers?  this tool can help show that https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon
    • Is Windows 32 bit or 64 bit?
    • How much memory installed
    • Look in windows and see if you 'swap' space is increasing.  Swap is used by the computer to make your computer look like it has much more memory that it really has.  It does this by moving programs in Memory (RAM) to your Harddrive when they are not in use.
    • Is your Hard drive light on all the time?
    Based on what you have said so far, with N1MM and SSDR running at the same time, your computer is running out of memory and then the retrieval of the WAV from the hard drive is very slow. 

Mike

• Richard Zalewski
    edited August 2019
    Thanks Mike for your comments.
    I have attached report on latency.
    Windows 64
    See attachment of system performance
    Not any swapping going on
    Hard drive light is not on all the time

This the latest from N1MM:
    When you have the delay issue, change the drop down that is displaying DAX Audio below to a non-Flex soundcard (your computer soundcard). Press  the function key and listen in your computer speakers.

Not sure what they are saying.

So not sure when this problem started but never experienced it before in a SSB contest.  

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited August 2019
    Those are all good numbers so that should eliminate that part of the problem for the moment.  Thanks for sharing.   I assume those screen shots are from when you were having the failure?

Here is what happens when you push F2 in N1MM
    • N1MM receives the F2
    • Decodes the command and gets the audio recording from the hard drive 
    • Asserts PTT via SmartSDR CAT (either PTT or CAT command)
    • Plays the Audio recording on the TX Line in DAX
    • Recording completes
    • Radio unkeys
    Can you test with K9DUR's voice keyer at all and see if you can recreate it?  http://k9dur.info/voice_keyer.html.  I'm not sure where to go if it works or fails.  :)

Mike

• Richard Zalewski
    edited August 2019
    Do think that maybe something got changed in the 6600M by mistake causing this delay and buildup?
  • Mitch
    Mitch Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Hi Richard,

I had the same issue with my Flex 6600M. The delay when using N1MM function keys on SSB kept getting worse as time went on, to the point it all became unusable without a reset. I was able to solve the problem by using "PTT via Radio Command" - see attached pic.

While that command solved the delay issue playing a recorded message using function keys, I still haven't resolved the delay issue when using VOX. After about 10 minutes of operating (give or take), a noticeable and annoying delay is introduced. The only way I found to resolve it is by turning VOX off, then back on again. Unfortunately, the entire cycle starts over again after a period of time. 

I should also mention this VOX delay only occurs when DAX is running. But if I exit DAX, I have no voice keyer. A real Catch-22.

It's very frustrating as I don't enjoy babysitting the VOX delay while trying to run on SSB. Others have suggested using a foot switch, but it's slow and cumbersome while contesting, at least for me. Besides, shouldn't the VOX just work properly?

Thanks,

Mitch, K7RL

• Richard Zalewski
    edited August 2019
    Just checked my N1MM config and I already have PTT via radio command in SSB.So I will try your turn VOX off and on trick.
    Totally agree on the foot switch.  In any case it should work VOX as it has before.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.