Mystery 10k wide digital mode on 3.950USB

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
went on continuously for at least 30 minutes. could be longer but i had things to do. looked and sounded like easypal, except it was a full 10k wide and well defined.

Its a mystery!
Photo of Lee Maisel

Lee Maisel

• 100 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
It looks like it could be a DRM shortwave broadcast signal.  I have heard one reported on the high end of 80 before.

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Steve Yothment

Steve Yothment

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Official Response

Yes, that's Digital Radio Mondiale.  Check the schedule here:  http://www.hfcc.org/drm/

BBC World Service is on DRM on 3955 kHz at 0500Z to 0600Z.

- Steve  W4OGM

Photo of Lee Maisel

Lee Maisel

• 100 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Hmmm I thought that too but could not decode at all.
Photo of Lee Maisel

Lee Maisel

• 100 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
I am using DREAM  maybe I have the flex 6500 setup wrong?
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
The last time I tried to use DReaM I couldn't get anything to decode.  Apparently I need to compile an AAC Codec.  After trying unsuccessfully to find one online, or an easy way to make one, I lost interest and went on to other pursuits.  

Apparently there are others who have had more luck and are enjoying DRM.  I would like to hear from them.  It seems like a good project for the Flex.  

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Steve Yothment

Steve Yothment

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

I receive DRM with my Flex-3000.  I use the DRM Software from VT Merlin Communications and the decoding works OK, but the SNR has to be 15dB or more for a decent decode.  The signal on 3955 kHz shown in the picture above is too weak to decode. 

The downside of receiving DRM is that you have to pay a license fee to decode it, but once you do that you are ready to go.