Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

My New 6500

WBB
WBB Member
edited April 2019 in New Ideas

My new 6500.

Just received my 6500; very nice.  I have been in “testing” mode for two days now and have some question (and / or suggestions for next software updates):

1. Where is the squelch control?

2. How do I record / playback my “CQ dx message”?

3. It would be nice if we could display (either on / off) USA Amateur Radio Band Plan <or any other country> boundary indicators and general screen markers as an overlay (also allow us to put in our own custom / text markers that can be saved and turned on independently)… then I would not have to keep referring to the USA amateur radio band plan to figure out my limits and boundaries.

4. “Hop frequency settings”.  When we click on a “signal”, to change frequency; create some algorithm that makes a more intelligent “hop” to the “correct frequency”; then we can adjust from that point on.

Comments

• Scott AC8DE
    Scott AC8DE Member
    edited May 2014
    WBB,

The answer to the first 3 - We're not there yet.  Those will be coming in future releases of SSDR.  I'm not sure I understand point 4 question.

Scott AC8DE
  • BobT
    BobT Company Adviser
    edited May 2014

I think #4 pertains to how you get closer to being "on" frequency with click tuning.  I may be wrong but here's an answer:

Click tuning follows the Step frequency you have dialed in.  If you set Step to 500 Hz, you click tuned frequency will be the 500 Hz increment closest to your cursor.  On SSB, on the HF bands during non-contest activity, a 500 Hz Step frequency will put you on in most cases.  There is a small learning curve in knowing where to put the cursor before you click. 

BobT K5KDN

• Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    #1 would like to know your use case for the squelch, I've never found it useful on HF, maybe I'm missing something?

#2 can be done with DAX and K9DUR's voice keyer http://k9dur.rnaconsultingservices.com/voice_keyer.html

#3 can be done by placing TNF on the band edges.  Works great.
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I guess I'm with WBB on #3.  I'd like to see a red marker at band edges, and perhaps a phone subband marker, perhaps in a different color.  On a radio where the main display is the frequency this is not such a big deal, but on the Flex's I don't find myself paying as much attention to the freq as I do the signals on the panadaptor.  A reminder would be nice.  Yes, could use a TNF, but if others are running, then how to differentiate?  For whatever it's worth, I think it would be a big help for those of us who tend to spend quality time near band edges! 
  • W4YXU
    W4YXU Member
    edited April 2016
    How about color the background on the frequency ****? Various colors for ............?

Jim
    W4YXU
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    I agree, and I understand the band markers are planned.  This is just an easy workaround suggestion.  :)
  • BobT
    BobT Company Adviser
    edited May 2014
    Us color deficient guys hate the idea :>)
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited May 2014
    you record the cq dx message using the recorder  Just click mox hit record cq dx your little heart out.then hit record again to stop it.  Then play it back over the air.

You can get pretty close to the freq by clicking the appropriate spot on the waterfall or clicking the edge of a signal on the panadapter.  I can usually get within 10-30 hz on ssb and pretty much dead on using the waterfall on CW even with 100 hz filters

Someone here suggested setting a TNF on the band edges  I think it's easier to just know  the info

73  W9OY
  • WBB
    WBB Member
    edited April 2019

Well thanks for all of your responses.  My thought was to get some suggestions of what the next software releases could/would contain.  So, the more we users agree, I assume (maybe incorrectly) the more they would be motivated to include....

Any other ideas??

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

"Someone here suggested setting a TNF on the band edges  I think it's easier to just know  the info"

When I was younger, Lee, I would have to agree..  It seems then I could total recall...now days though its like I cant recall totally. [Ok to roll eyes at this point].

• W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited May 2014
    K9DUR has a memory app for SSDR http://k9dur.rnaconsultingservices.com/smartsdr_utilities.html  you could just enter the band limits you want into favorites (up to 16)   The favorites can be made to be always on top.  You need to run DDUTIL to run Ray's utility.  I use it to have buttons to take me to spots I frequent in the CW band and the SSB band but it could also direct you to your favorite rag chew freq or digital freqs  I don't think this is exactly a democracy as far as features goes.  Flex has a road map of features they are working on.  So far they have totally over delivered on the features on the road map.  You of course are welcome to make suggestions, and especially if you find a bug, but their plate is plenty full of stuff to do for us.
    73  W9OY

• WBB
    WBB Member
    edited November 2016

Not sure why we want to "remember"... I have too much on my brain as it is.  Lets let the software remember for us... yes??

• WBB
    WBB Member
    edited April 2019

OK for #3 above; while I remember...

It would be nice if we could display (either on / off) USA Amateur Radio Band Plan <or any other country> boundary indicators and general screen markers as an overlay (also allow us to put in our own custom / text markers that can be saved and turned on independently)... then I would not have to keep referring to the USA amateur radio band plan to figure out my limits and boundaries.

>>when and if u do this... ADD; a method to mark stations that we contacted; as to work the entire band and know which frequencies we already contacted... right now, I use TNF to mark freq that I have contacted....<<

Thanks

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.