My 6700 has slight ringing sound when in SSB mode

• Problem
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Solved
My 6700 has a slight ringing sound when in SSB mode.  I do not notice any expansion of  bandpass width no matter which filter is selected, the signal sounds the same width for any filter setting, and the slight ringing sound persists. no matter what I try. This is true for any band, and for LSB and USB. I have checked the equalizer for RX and the problem is not there. Bandpass offset is set correctly, for example with 2.7K selected, the signal is centered with 2800 high and 100 low.

Can someone help me with this?

Photo of W5UN_Dave

W5UN_Dave

• 316 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9199 Posts
  • 3560 Reply Likes
Official Response
Dave - I just had a thought.  We made a change in SmartSDR v1.1.3 that modified the behavior of the APF (audio peaking filter).  It is possible that the filter may still be engaged during phone modes but you would never see any indication of it.  It would affect the audio quality and produce hollow sounding audio that could be described as "ringing".

Clearing the internal persistence database should correct this situation if this is truly the case.  To do that, power off the radio using the front panel power button.  Press and hold the front panel OK button while momentarily pressing the power button to start the radio,  Once you see the "Factory Defaults" displayed on the radio console, release the OK button.  This will reset the APF settings where they only work in CW mode.