Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

My SPE 1.3K just started tuning on by on its own.

ron.rainbow
ron.rainbow Member
edited November 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
The issue seems to be that when the USB cable is plugged from the amp to the computer....if the SPE program is not running on the computer ....the amp turns on.  To turn the amp off I need to load the SPE program on the computer....turn the amp off on the computer screen....it then stays off.  But, as soon as I exit the SPE program ....the amp turns back on again. It just started doing this after several months of working fine.....does anyone have any ideas of how to fix this?  ron@ky6n.com   Thanks for any help

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Hi Ron,

What cables do you have connected to the flex, and to the amp? Which cable are you using? From what I understand, some of the cables that you get from Dan will automatically power on the amp with the Flex, which won't really make sense if you leave the flex on all the time and want to turn the amp off. 

Ria

• Doug - W3UB
    Doug - W3UB Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Yes, if you have one of Dan's cables, right at the connector on the amp there is one or more switches that are labeled. If you have the "remote on" switch set to 1 the amp will power on when you power-up the radio. This will happen if you power on the radio manually via the front panel, or with the remote on feature.

Not sure this is your issue, or why it would have just started. I also have the 1.3K-FA and a 6700.

/Doug
  • dj3cq
    dj3cq Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Having the same amp I made a simple diy-cable, just TX, RX and ground of RS232. Easy as pie and no problems...

regards, Jo (dj3cq)
  • ron.rainbow
    ron.rainbow Member
    edited September 2017
    Thanks for the comments.

Funny thing is ....this just started being a problem after many months of working fine.

I am using one of Dan's custom cables that interfaces the Flex with the SPE.
    Works great!....this is not the problem.  I can remove his cable and the problem still exists as long as a USB cable is plugged into the amp. 

The problem is totally related to the USB cable used to access the SPE from the Win 10 computer.
    This USB interface is really not necessary in normal operation because the amp turns on and off with the Flex.
    But, for a remote operation ....in case it is necessary to make any changes to the settings on the amp ...this is the only way.  I use Team Viewer to see the local (radio end) computer screen.  

This has happened before but and I just switched the USB cable to a different USB port and re-booted the computer.  

This time that does not work.  Every time I plug in a USB cable from the computer (any port) to the SPE....the amp turns on.   I can turn if off by loading the SPETerm_13k_USB.exe program on the computer and pressing the power off button.  This holds the amp off till I terminate the program....then the amp turns back on.

Leaving the program running all the time is not really a problem...but....every time the computer re-boots the amp would come on.  In a remote configuration.....thats a problem.

...and why did this problem just pop up.

I see in the SPE manual on page 78.....there is a reference to this "DTR" problem.

But.....if worked fine for months.

I am thinking that something changed in my computer .....but what?

Again.....thanks for all the help.

Ron
    KY6N

• Doug - W3UB
    Doug - W3UB Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Yep, it would seem that your computer, which is controlling the USB cable is the root cause.
    /Doug
  • dj3cq
    dj3cq Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    At the time I graded up to V2 I decided to change the connection to the Expert as weel as the Bolli-Tuner from PC to the FRS-USB-ports. The idea behind is to have less radio stuff directly connected to the PC. I'm on board since 3 years now and I learned the hard way that the PC is the weakest point of the FRS package...

I bought the necessary USB/Serial cables and to my surprise everything was ready in minutes and working flawless since then.
    The only PC connection left is the Flexcontrol, all other USBs and Coms disappeared. Life with Win is much easier now.

Maybe you decide to go that way, I don't think you will regret.

73, Jo
    dj3cq

• Doug - W3UB
    Doug - W3UB Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Jo, yes I agree, the Flex USB port is the way to go, unless there is some really good reason for the PC to be involved. It does just work, with no drama. Unlike the PC ...
    /Doug
  • G0VLF
    G0VLF Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Hi Ron.

There is an update on the website for the Firmware. Try updating and see if that fixes it. Not had any issues with mine and I particularly like the ability to turn on and off remotely.

Ray de G0VLF

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.