Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

My Post was closed....windows 10 & Smart SDR 1.5 Halloween Night

YV5WZ
YV5WZ Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
My Post was closed ....I got surprised..."trick or treat"....Someone told some about Halloween?
.... I didn't have the opportunity to thanks to all you...whom cared about my questions and with your expertise and personal experience, you drew a mental map to follow and make a final decision.

Undoubtedly, each one of you are an important part in this community, and  bring that spicy which is always necessary in a good conversation

Thanks for participating, and apologize for my closed post.....next time beers are on me

Cheers

George
YV5WZ

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    George - the closing of your post had nothing to do with you and no apologies are necessary.  It was due to comments made by other posters that went beyond the established etiquette for replies where personal attacked where being waged.
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Thanks Tim.....I see and understanding...Thank you

• Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I think your question was a particularly good one, as proven by the highly varying answers you got.  I was surprised and enlightened by those whose experiences with Win10 were so very different from mine.

However, for any thread, when the conversation wanders far afield from the topic of the original post and especially when it devolves into name calling and "the unanswerable questions of ham radio" ("are no code licensee real hams", "is ham radio dead", "are contests good or bad for the hobby"... there are numerous others), I'm very happy to see the mods close the thread.

These unanswerable questions are like religion.  Except in very limited circumstances, there's really very little to be gained by debating about them. And offense is usually the only tangible outcome.

I say "bravo" to Mr. Ellison for his active moderation, even on a Sunday.

Peter
    K1PGV

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Going back to the Windows 10 topic. Today I was trying to finalised all the software installs on a Windows 10 laptop I am taking with me to a trip to Maldives (look for me as 8Q7DC, QRP in 40 20 and 10m). I will be using the Flex 1500 and wanted to make sure everything was working ok. I tried installing a bluetooth mouse and the computer wouldn't see the mouse at all. I tried with other bluetooth devices and the same issue... searching forever but it doesn´t find anything. I checked the drivers and they looked ok, but I was surprised to see an old date on the bluetooth driver. So I decided to click Search Online for an Updated Driver. Low and behold, there was one, it got installed and everything bluetooth related works great.

The point here is that, maybe, even if Windows 10 doesn't alert you as to an outdated driver you should go and try to make sure you are running the latest. My 2 cents to the conversation. Maybe Peter that is much more knowledgeable than I on Windows matters, can shed some light as to why this happened and if my course of action is the proper one.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Even though the drivers offered though Windows Update for the later versions of windows are generally okay, they are *never* the latest and I always look for the latest offering of any driver online as a matter of course.
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Salvador I had same experience with Windows 10  in my Samsung Laptop which never found my Galaxy S5, after updating  driver everything went smoothing 
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    In terms of updating drivers: Windows ships with whatever driver was available and compatibility tested at the time of Windows release. So, if you do an install you often start with a set of relatively old drivers. When you run Windows Update , you'll get the latest version of the driver that (a) the vendor has invested the effort needed to,run and pass the Windows compatibility testing and (b) the vendor has take.n the time to fill out the paperwork to submit to Windows Update. The compatibility testing process is a PITA, so a lot of vendors run an initial set of tests that allows them to get their driver to ship "in box" with Windows ... And thereafter bother with Wimdows compatibility testing either rarely or (sometimes) not at all. That's why you'll often see far newer (and sometimes, very different) drivers on vendors web sites than you can get from Wimdows Update. These typically all haven't been through the Wimdows compatibility testing process.. You'll often see two sets of drivers: one labeled WHQL Approved (WHQL being an old name for the compatibility testing process) and the other labeled "latest version" -- To be honest, the compatibility tests add very little value after the first time you pass them. They're not worthless, but they're no big deal. So, I usually don't hesitate to install whatever the latest is from a vendors site. Just DO only download and install drivers from either Microsoft (via Wimdows Update) or the vendor. NEVER install drivers fro third party sites. Only install driver packages that have been digitally signed by the vendor or Microsft. Anything is an invitation to malware, PEter K1PGV
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Great advice guys! I was surprised that a Bluetooth driver that worked on win7 on a computer that had been recently updated to windows 10 was just not working, and furthermore Device Manager and advance properties on the device didn't show any errors or alerts. So from now on, I will make sure to search for updated drivers regardless of Windows 10 not showing me to an incompatibility.
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    the other problem is the ones that are not signed .. like the Wavenode driver :) 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.