Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

My Maestro died

James Kennedy-WU5E
James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Maestro
My Maestro will not turn on.

Comments

• James Kennedy-WU5E
    edited June 2020
    What is the difference A Model and the B Model?
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Did you let it sit unused for a long time?
  • James Kennedy-WU5E
    edited June 2020
    yes I deployed to two areas of Concern for total 7 months

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    "A" model has the on/off button on the top.  "B" model has on/off button on the side.  "A" model needs to be plugged in a regular intervals to keep its internal battery charged.  (I keep my "A" model plugged in all the time, even when not using it.  I've had it for several years, no problems.)

Assuming you have the "A" model, and assuming you are sure you are using a charged replaceable battery pack, your Maestro may have to go back to Flex, but I suggest submitting a trouble report to get confirmation. 
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    In the downloads section, there is the procedure for charging the internal
    battery should an operator encounter the problem of discharged battery.
    If you do not feel comfortable doing it then open a help ticket.
  • James Kennedy-WU5E
    edited June 2019
    got a trouble ticket already in now waiting for Flex to respond , probably on Monday.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019

Maybe there should be a notice on the back of the maestro like,

"Keep Maestro charger connected at all times when not in use to avoid battery failure"

When not using the maestro you need to keep the internal battery charged or the battery volts will drop to a point where the maestro will not start up.

Basically keep it connected to power brick all the time unless you go portable. This applies to "A" and "B" versions.

• Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    John,
    Are you saying the "B" version has a similar problem and needs to be kept on charger?

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    The recharging procedure :
    https://www.flexradio.com/downloads/maestro-a-internal-battery-charging-procedure-pdf/?wpdmdl=3128&a...

I've opened the Maestro A before and it's not difficult.

GL // Tim
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019

YES both version need to be kept on the charger when not in use to keep the internal battery fully charged.

Always keep the Maestro plugged in until you are going to switch to portable battery power and everything will be fine and the battery should last for years.
  • RFord
    RFord Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I copied this information from another post...the link to the post is :  https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/maestro-wont-power-up-anyone-seen-this-issue-before

Following Dudley's direction :

- I plugged-in the external power supply (confirming that the green LED on the 'brick' was glowing) and then held-down the Maestro's Power Button for 60 seconds (Dudley had said "30 or 40 seconds" but I figured that 'a little more can't hurt')

- leaving the Maestro plugged into the external power supply I set it aside (as Dudley had said to then leave it alone for 24 hours with the external PS connected)

- about 5 minutes later, out of the corner of my eye (since I'd set the Maestro to the side), I caught a flicker (I thought at first it was either my imagination or a reflection off something)

- I looked at the Maestro unit and its screen had come on showing the WiFi Network search screen (no EtherNet cable was plugged in).

Since then my Maestro has 'played' like it should (and I'm going to leave it plugged-in for the next 24 hours to give the internal battery a chance to recharge).

Dudley had explained that there needs to be a slight amount of charge remaining in the internal battery (not what a user can install inside the rear battery compartment but the internal battery which we can't access) for the Maestro to be able to boot-up. Dudley said that from what he's seen there is about a 50/50 chance that holding down the Power Button for an extended period of time, and then waiting 24 hours with the Maestro plugged into the external power source, will get the Maestro to power up (and then allow the internal battery to recharge). I was surprised (but pleased of cource) when my Maestro decided to 'wake-up' after only a few minutes.

Regards,
    Ronald
  • RFord
    RFord Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    This issue has been discussed several times in the community since the role out of Version B Maestro.  I believe you will find that the Version B does not have the same charging issue that the Version A Maestro has experienced.  I have included a link of one of those conversations...

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/maestro-b-internal-battery

Regards,
    Ronald
  • James Kennedy-WU5E
    edited June 2019
    thanks TiM, starting the procedure now., I have to the same procedure on a PSC-5C

• James Kennedy-WU5E
    edited June 2019
    Tim close the help ticket thanks

Jim
    WU5E
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I operate on battery, not plugged in a lot. I usually plug it in at night. A few times the internal battery got drained (it drained the replaceable battery too). But plugged in Maestro for a few hours our over night and all ok.
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    This is clearly outlined on page 15 of the Maestro manual.

• James Kennedy-WU5E
    edited June 2020
    The Maestro is working again 
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Good news..  Did the procedure as stated in the manual do the magic?

_..--
    TiM / 7
  • James Kennedy-WU5E
    edited July 2019
    to the letter
  • James Kennedy-WU5E
    edited July 2019
    I wished the Radio Sport headset would work, no matter what i do it will not key the radio, have to switch to the FM1 to get it to key

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.