Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

My hopes for V. 1.5

Ken - NM9P
Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
I read in the description of upcoming V. 1.5 that they will be doing some smoothing and polishing of features already released.  This is great news!  We have received many, many extraordinary features during the past year since I received my 6500.  and I way, "Well done!  and Thanks!"

But there are a few things that need some polish.  

We all know about the DSP - NB, NR, ANF & APF.... I will be excited to see how the new "science project" will deal with these.  If the results are as well done as the new panafall and associated features have been, we are in for a treat!

The other item I hope gets some major attention is the Profiles.  
I love having the new Profiles, but in the process it broke the band buttons and the persistence connected to them.  If they make the profiles remember all the frequencies saved for each of the individual band button, then that would be something sweat!  I could have a PSK31 global profile where all the band buttons have the various PSK31 base frequencies.... another WSJT Profile that has each band button saved for the base WSJT frequencies, a CW Profile where each band button lands on my favorite CW starting frequency for each band...  As is it, each profile I save only saves the active, open slices, and the band buttons operation is rather sporadic and unpredictable.  At least I haven't been able to predict it yet.

The other idea related to profiles is a suggestion to repurpose Transmit Profiles and rename them "MODE PROFILES" and link more parameters, including some Receive parameters to each Mode profile.  This is the subject of another post:
https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/change-transmit-profiles-to-mode-profiles

Ken - NM9P

Comments

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hi Ken, Agree, V1.5 is a great idea. Getting the software solid before the next paid version should make most happy. (can't please everyone, there will probably some unhappy with the V2.0 delay) From above: We all know about the DSP - NB, NR, ANF & APF.... I will be excited to see how the new "science project" will deal with these.  If the results are as well done as the new panafall and associated features have been, we are in for a treat I'm also hoping for some of the GUI improvements to be part of the items referenced as "polish." Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Agreed.... a little polish on the meters, switches and buttons, and grouping/linking functions together into more logical formats would go a long way towards spiffing this thing up and making the final version of 1.x a real quality product.  

Again... this is already the best rig I have ever used, bar none!  But I am a dreamer by nature and am always thinking of ways to make something good even better.
  • DK1EY
    DK1EY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Word!
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    It would sure be nice to have. Pure signal . After all the hardware is in place. New modes. How about clean imd.
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    NP2G, Steve Hicks, VP Engineering at Flex spoke of adaptive predistortion (Pure Signal) at length in his comments to Pacificon a few weeks back.  http://youtu.be/bXr0cn5ubOM  

I know its on their to do list, but I can't imagine it being in 1.5 release.
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I was VERY glad to hear they're going to take the time to fix/update/correct/smooth- out the existing feature set. I'd love to see features reach parity with PSDR. For me, user-settable filter widths, and an indication of the TX filter setting on the pan adapter, along with fig and finish on a number of items would make me very happy.
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Well sooner than later. Since Sherwood rated rec. number 1. Why not transmit the best it can be . An entire package number 1.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    My wishes for v1.5

I'd like to see the tune up power not change on a whim and stay as set in the radio setup > transmit tab.

Profiles need beefing up so they save *everything* for a given session.
  • KD3VK Ken
    KD3VK Ken Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I cannot find the description of upcoming V. 1.5  which you mention.  Where can I find it?
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Ken,
    It was announced in the The Flex Insider - October 2014 Edition

- DSP improvements
    - Buff and Polish
    - ATU memories

Details not yet available on exactly what will be included.   Here is the excerpt.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Additionally for all mentioned - in case using TNF or ANF necessary to have correction of S-meter , due to we are not hearing already signal( carrier or else)- as result is clear signal strengths on S-meter ( or have it as an option in SmartSDR)
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    @Steve and @Gerald,
    Here is the context for the question I asked about "buff and polish" at the Dayton dinner.   Although you said it was about fixing bugs, the way it was conveyed it seemed more like improving the user interface.   Sort of like "detailing a car"  and polishing up what the users sees (i.e the GUI).  

Some examples are the ideas regarding the SWR and Power meters, changing the color scheme (black on blue is hard to read), the option for panadapter fill, and more.  Many of the ideas have gotten a number of votes, here is just one:

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/idea_to_improve_the_swr_and_power_scale_readability

The APF idea and automatic AGC-T idea would also help improve the user experience.  Although it sounded like they were no longer a focus, hopefully some of these "buff and polish" ideas are still going to be included to round out the SSDR interface in the V1.x series..

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I would like to see some of the many confirmed bugs and feature requests (that have been acknowledged, eg the date being displayed as per the Windows default) tackled.
  • Walt
    Walt Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Buff and Polish ?   Like a real FSK RTTY and matching receive RTTY filters?  For CQ and ARRL RTTY contests?   Or maybe I am just the only one that likes that mode.  I know majority vote wins.

Will cross my fingers . . .

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I believe the best way to facilitate the most stuff, features and fixes, and solidness, in 1.5 (as it is the end of first round) is to completely back off and end the 'are we there yet' chants. To me solidness is key, fix outstanding bugs and zero regressions. If a new feature isn't 100% solid after very thorough testing and QA, it should not ship.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Walt,
    Pretty sure I read there might be a V1.6 (or more) before V2.0 (WAN) is released.  

I'm just interested in seeing more of the GUI / SSDR improvements coming sooner than later.  And given V2.0 could be early to mid 2016, there is time for a few more interim releases. 

I doubt 100% solid releases are likely given all of the user variables, but its a good goal.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Al, that should be the number 1 goal, every single time.
  • Dave Dave
    Dave Dave Member ✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Squelch, friggin Squelch!!!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.