Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

My Green Display on the frony of my 6500 has stopped working

Bill
Bill Member ✭✭
The Green Display on the front of my Flex 6500 has suddenly stopped showing anything. It has happened when I turned on the rig today after being off the air for a couple of weeks. the radio still works fine with my Maestro. Any thoughts? Bill

Comments

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    What green Display?

On SmartSDR or the Radio itself? if on the Radio what Radio ?
    Bret
    WX7Y
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Like he said...a 6500.
  • Bill
    Bill Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    It's the Green OLED Display on the front of the Flex 6500. The one that has Flex 6500 displayed on it when you start up. I programmed mine a long time ago with my callsign. I thought that I had made it clear that it was the one on the front of the 6500 but apologies if it wasn't clear.
    Bill
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    You did, I was just doing 3 different things at the same time and didn't read all of your description.

Sorry
    Bret
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I would try a hard reset to factory reset. then import your profiles.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Check the intensity -use the 4-way switch to adjust. Maybe it is just turned down?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Will it turn down to nothing?
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    "Will it turn down to nothing?"

No, just checked.
  • Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Sounds like a power failure to the display board, or the board itself. 
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Several months ago mine gradually started getting darker. Within a month it went dark. Had to replace it. I question Flex’s choice using the blue color. BLUE OLED, which I believe it is, has the shortest life of any color, about 60% the life span of other colors.
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I hope the OLED Flex uses is better than the ones in the FT-5000, they failed after about 2 years especially in a damp basement environment.  
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2018
    I have converted this topic to a support HelpDesk ticket (http://helpdesk.flexradio.com) for expedited issue resolution.  Please respond using the HelpDesk ticket for issue resolution.

If anyone else is experiencing an issue similar to this one, please submit a HelpDesk support ticket for issue resolution.
  • K2KXK
    K2KXK Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    WA2SQQ,  Did you replace it yourself.  What kind of job was it?  Thanks.
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I did not. While I could have, you would need a decent desoldering station (which I have) and I doubt FRS would sell you the part. However, I have to say that FRS was very accommodating. I removed the display board and 2nd day shipped it to them. They replaced the display the day it was received and shipped it back to me with an overnight shipper I included. Shipped it out on Monday and I was back on the air by Friday. I think the charge was ~ $90 something which was a very fair price considering the fast service. This was prearranged, so they were looking for the package to arrive.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I enjoy doing business with a company that will do this kind of service.

• WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    One thing that you need to understand... each of us has different technical skills. While removing the display board was fairly easy, it's not a task that every person will feel comfortable doing. Removing it improperly can cause collateral damage which can transform a simple repair into an expensive repair. Everyone needs to fully understand and should appreciate when FRS  requires the entire radio to come in.
  • K2KXK
    K2KXK Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Very good point.  I have not opened the radio yet.  Can you tell us basically what was involved in removing the board?  My situation is that I just purchased a pre-loved 6500 to replace my 6300.  The display has a few weak spots - purely cosmetic so I'm probably not going to do anything about it.  Just wanted to know my options.  Flex does not address cosmetic options on pre-loved radios which I totally iunderstand.  They are a great company to work with.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.