Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

My frequency on the Panadpter

Joe  N9VX
Joe N9VX Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
Please fix the SmartSDR  panadapter so the frequency I am on stays in the middle of the screen, like PowerSDR (or give me the option to select this method). I really dislike my frequency scrolling back and forth across the screen, I want to have full visibility up and down the band without having to constantly dragging my frequency back to the middle of the screen. 

Thanks,

Joe  N9VX

Comments

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I concur. Should be made optional.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi Joe,
    There have been several similar requests but I'm not sure if they are the same as what you are looking for though.  

Are you asking for an option to lock a slice to the center of the panadapter?  Would something like this work? The snapshot below shows one option for implementing the UI changes.   You could right click and select the option to "lock the slice" to the center of the panadapter.    The symbol would change to show the slice is locked to the center.   The panadapter would "scroll behind the slice" as you tuned the slice.  Click tuning would still work and the slice would jump to the new frequency with the panadapter centered behind it. 

Right click again and you could unlock the slice and return to the normal operation. 

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Joe  N9VX
    Joe N9VX Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Al,

This is exactly what I am asking for. Thanks for the great job in presenting my request.

Joe  N9VX
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Joe, Good deal, here is one of the other ideas I referenced above.  But it didn't provide any suggestions on the UI changes.  I think both requests could be resolved with the UI change suggested here. 

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/slice_a_should_be_centered_after_frequency_change_v...

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Good idea, Al. Tuning would certainly be easier.
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I'd like it as an option only.  Mostly prefer current setup.  If I'm working at the low end of the band, I don't want to have half of my screen being "not in the band!"
  • Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited January 2015
    To me, what's irritating is the way PSDR handles it where your slice is permanently locked to the center. Very frustrating. I want to be able to clink on any signal across the panadapter without the entire panadaper dragging across the screen so the signal will be centered.

FLEX has is RIGHT with SSDR!

• Tom Warren
    Tom Warren Member
    edited January 2015
    Rob,
     I agree and IIRC many in this Community, including me, requested the setup we currently have with SSDR. The 'option' would be an alternative. Tom   
  • Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Whew (thank god)!

73s sir!
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I like NN4ZZ's proposal, with the slight change that I'd like to be able to lock the selected frequency anywhere I want on the panadapter... and when I QSY the frequency would change but the "yellow line" for the selected frequency would stay in the same relative location.

When working digital modes I often want to lock the tuned frequency (the "yellow line") to the LEFT EDGE of the panadapter... so i can see what's above me in a very wide (6K for example) filter.

So, I think NN4ZZ's proposal would work for all of us.

Peter K1PGV
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Rob and Tom,
    Agree with having it as an option and that is what I illustrated above.  You would have to select it if you want it.  I also wanted to make it easy to see visually when you  have it set.  A big complaint about options is when you can't tell if they are set or not.  Another is when you have to locate a menu or non-obvious method to find where to turn them on and off. 

Some designers/programmers don't like providing options (its extra work) but others realize if done correctly it can make everyone happy.    The key is to make it simple to use, easy to see, and let folks choose what works for them.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Peter,
    Here is your requested change.....now there are 3 options and something for everyone.

1 - No locking (current operation)
    2 - Lock to center of panadapter
    3 - Lock to current position on panadapter

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Terry K8EET
    Terry K8EET Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Joe,

Your suggestion is well thought out.  However, I suggest you give some thought to changing the way you think about operating. Normally I set the width my pan-adapter to cover the area of the band in which I'm interested. I can quickly move between signals and QSOs to see  who or what I might be interested. (with the click of a mouse) It's fairly easy to remember where everybody is. If there someone I'm really interested in I might move a TFN to their frequency just to ensure I keep track of them  If  I were to operate as you propose, I would have a very difficult time keeping everything in perspective. I might not recognize a new signal coming on board.

I'm not suggesting that your idea is bad. It might even be easy to implement, but I am suggesting that you spend a little less time bemoaning the fact that Flex doesn't do things just like your old knob radio did and really appreciate the thought process that went into making the radio work the way it does. I have a feeling that, if Flex were to adopt your idea, few people would use it once they saw signals flying up and down past the center point on their dial. Joe, I hope you didn't take any offense to my two cents worth.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Hi Terry,
    Here is an idea I added a while back.  Check it out and see what you think.  Add your vote and comments if you like the idea. 

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/****_slices_idea_to_synch_up_2_slices

Locking 2 slices in 2 panadapters gives you  2 views -- the full band in one panadapter and a closeup on the other.  

Here is part of the thread and Gerald's comments on the idea......

Al wrote:  ... If you see a signal on the wide view panadapter that you would like to work, the idea is that you could click tune it and both panadapters/slices  would jump to the frequency.
    Currently you would have to click tune it on the wide panadapter and then drag the slice on the zoomed panadapter up or down the band to get to it.  Or manually enter the frequency on the zoomed panadapter.

Locking the 2 slices together would make it a "one click" operation.   Does that make sense?

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
       Gerald - K5SDR, Official Rep

OK, I understand the use case now.  ....Your definition would be a new feature that we have not considered.  It is a good idea that I will submit but I don't think it will get in a near term release given the existing backlog.  Thanks for the suggestion.

• John-KC2QMA
      John-KC2QMA Member
      edited April 2018
      Yes PLEASE add this feature in future release.
      Thank You.
    • K1DBO
      K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
      edited April 2018
      While you are waiting, give Slice Master 6000 a try. 

On the Sync tab for your slice, just check the 'Keep Centered' option in the Panadapter settings.  The panadapter for that slice will stay centered under it.  The Follow and zoom options can also be used to keep two panadapters in sync at different zoom levels.

The README for Slice Master 6000 can be found at https://github.com/K1DBO/slice-master-6000 and will tell you how to download the latest release.

--Don
    • John-KC2QMA
      John-KC2QMA Member
      edited April 2018

Cool program but I’m getting tired of having to piggyback all these programs on to Smart SDR to get it to do simple things like this.

However I’m glad that SmartSDR is compatible with all these 3rd party apps.
    • Ted_Spiegel_NX6C
      Ted_Spiegel_NX6C Member ✭✭
      edited April 2018
      Don,
         Thank you for showing what your program can do!  The features you are providing help personalize the operation of our radios.  
       Ted
      NX6C

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.