Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

My Flex 6400 rebooted while on Listening to a net

James Skala
James Skala Member
edited March 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I was listening to a net and a window popped up saying the connection had been lost.  I looked at my radio and seen a quick red flashing light and a click then my radio rebooted on its own.
The voltage on the radio was 14.10 and temp was 78.8.

Since owning the Flex 6400 remotely I leave it on all the time and I have experienced this connection has been lost window before but always thought something had happened with the internet.  But this time in the shack I caught it, seen it, experienced it.  

Diagnostic Observations

I have a voltage logger in place and voltages were good before and after the reboot.
I have a temperature logger in place and the temps were good before and after the reboot.
I was listening when this occurred.
No network dropouts as I was local to the radio on the same switch.
I physically observed this behavior.
Nothing in the Windows logs to report.
I checked the Fan in the Flex which looks good.
Vents on the Flex look clean free of dust and dirt.

I'm running at 3.1.8

What would cause this? 

What is the next step in diagnosing this self reboot?

Comments

• Steve Sterling
    Steve Sterling Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    99% of the time your symptoms would indicate a lost data connection, not a Flex reboot. As in your router rebooted, or the DHCP address lease renewal time came and didn't happen, etc. I had it happen when for some unknown reason, the router decided to give the Flex radio a different DHCP address at lease renewal time, which happened when radio was in use and caused the SSDR client (software on your computer or Maestro or front panel) to lose connection (looking for the radio at 192.168.1.25 old address when the router changed the radio to 192.168.1.221.) I had to restart the SSDR client, which then picked up the new DHCP address from the broadcast "I'm at this address now" that the radio does on local area networks (your house, not internet).  Maybe 1% chance it is actually a hardware glitch.
    My best guess anyway.
    73 Steve WA7DUH
  • James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited March 2020
    My Flex has a Static Address, my flex PC has a static address on the same local switch.  I am in the same room and visually checked the switch, power, etc.  So with that information, we can rule out DHCP, network issues.  Even if it was DHCP, network-connected devices don't require a reboot for a DHCP renewal.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    In some way it still points to a connection problem even though you think it's not. Guess you will need to keep looking for it.
  • James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited March 2020
    Then why the reboot.  In a Client / Server environment, servers don't reboot on the loss of connection.  I hear yall, and these are all great theories, but I want to see the cause of the reboot.  
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Any slight connection issue will cause the radio to reboot. It must maintain a solid connection to the computer running SSDR.
  • James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited March 2020
    I tested the "Slight Connection Issue" theory.
    I unplugged the radio ethernet with an open Smart SDR client open for 2 Seconds.  The Client Paused briefly but once plugged back in everything was just fine.  So the  "Slight Connection Issue" theory has been debunked.

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    another thought

dont know if you use the remote on/off feature
    but
    if you do
    then check what happen to that connection that might have cause a momentary off/on sequence.

Paul K3SF

• James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited March 2020
    I did notice that was turned on.  After this I have Disabled and I am monitoring it locally in the shack for this to happen again.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I will make a correction. After testing further here, if any connection is lost, the client will lock out, but the radio will not reboot.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited March 2020
    I have converted this to a support ticket. 

James, if you have the data from the Voltage logger, they may want to see the raw data.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.