Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

My computer went south, so am looking to get a new one before my 6600m gets here.

Brad
Brad Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Computer for 6600 M. Ideals

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited July 2018
    Budget?
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
  • Brad
    Brad Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Just need tower, around 450. Have 10 down and 100 up on my internet. I use TVs for monitors and have two 32 in. and have a wireless key board and mouse. 
  • Bob WØVU
    Bob WØVU Member
    edited January 2018
    10 down and 100 up, shouldn't that be the other way around?
  • Brad
    Brad Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    oops
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Personally, I would recommend an Intel NUC - small, quiet, powerful, and they will run on your 13.8V DC shack supply. And if you have a 12V monitor, it will all run on 12V. The only downside is these things come with no disk, no memory and no operating system, so they are "roll your own". Of course that's what we hams do best, hi hi. Total cost can be as low as $400, depending on the NUC model you buy. Just Google "Intel NUC".
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    All the horse power is in the radio so the computer can be anything from a I3 laptop and up as long as it has the Hard Drive space , Memory, and Video power to assure a good experience.
    Myself I use a Panasonic Toughbook CF52 4gig ram I5 processor for the Laptop and a NUC I7 8 gig memory and 500Gig SSD for my Desktop with 2 Monitors which has a LOT more horse power then SmartSDR needs. 

I have a I3 ASUS Windows tablet that works incredible for such a little computer.
    All my computers run WIN10 that I use these days. 

Anyway the sky is the limit and depends MORE on what else you want to run at the same time as SmartSDR. 

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I like the NUC. It's small and compact. 
  • Brad
    Brad Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Thanks everybody, am off to look to look at some.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I use a Mac mini (quad core i7), and it works extremely well. 29-inch 21:9 display, 16 Gb RAM, and an SSD rounds it out, but really aren't required.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited January 2018
    I'd go to your local discount store and get an i5 or newer AMD that fits your price range.
  • Brad
    Brad Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Thanks all, pick up a Dell(tower), so good to go I hope

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.