My 6500 preselector appears to not engage on 160/80/60. (WIDE at top right.) SSDR 1.10.16

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Solved
 Does anyone know what this might indicate?  I'm also seeing a very strange looking noise level with frequency domain periodicity on these bands that looks like a noisy sine wave bottoming at -110ish dBm and peaking at -85ish.  Oh, and sometimes I don't see the WIDE indication but I still have the same panadaptor view.  And on rare occasion the weird noise just goes away leaving flatline noise.  It's a puzzlement.

Any ideas appreciated.    73.... Frank / WA3NHK

Photo of Frank  WA3NHK

Frank WA3NHK

• 67 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
  • Frustrated. I can't use my new Carolina Windom.

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4074 Posts
  • 1267 Reply Likes
Official Response
I have seen that same waveform here at my location in SW Indiana.  It looks similar to either: 

1) the garbage generated when my next door neighbor plugs his camping trailer in.  The charge converter on some older units is extremely RF unfriendly.   This is the closest match. to what I see on your display.  Fortunately that only happens a few days each summer, and usually on a Thursday before leaving on Friday, or on Sunday night after returning..

2) the absolute trash generated by the under counter Halogen "hockey-puck" lights in my kitchen.  They are powered by a wall-wart transformer that gets very hot when used.  I don't let my wife plug it in when I am on the air.  Thankfully the trustees are soon going to replace them with some LED versions....

3) My other neighbor's invisible fence when he first put it in.  It hasn't shown up for a year or two.  I think he had a defective unit, or had it turned up WAY to high.

You might also check for pool heaters, solar charge converters, and Plasma TV's in the neighborhood.

Good luck.

Ken - NM9P