Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

My 6300 seem off Freq.

2»

Answers

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    One can use DL4YHF's Spectrum Lab (Audio Signal Analyser) dial up WWB in AM / SAM mode and look for the actual tone frequency WWV sends.  The 6500 here (w/GPS) is showing 600 cycles/sec  +/- minus about 1 cycle (propogation?)   This method gets you in the ball park the DAX clock is not GPS disciplined (different clock domain).

Doug, your method is how I set my Drake 1-A back in the novice days.  I didn't have the crystal calibrators that spewed a tone at every 100Kc. 

Best Regards,

k3Tim

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    The automatic calibration will get you close, but if you are using WWV, you must make sure that the signal strength is strong and there is not a lot of multipath fading.  The calibration routine works over a short period of time so the accuracy is very good, but longer averaging times produces more accurate results.

To get more accurate results you can you can also use the Frequency Analysis feature in Fldigi once you correct for the sound card (DAX) sampling rate variance using SRCheck and allowing the XO to thermally stabilize.  My 6700 (sans GPSDO) was about 1.3 Hz and by manually adjusting the Frequency offset in SmartSDR, I was able to get it within 0.1 Hz.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    My 6500 needed a small torx bit to open up when I needed to clean some gunk from a fan bearing to stop a "cricket" squeak.  (upon recommendation from Tim)  It sure is pretty in there, with a nicely engineered board and layout.  But I wouldn't recommend messing around in it!  

Ken - NM9P
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Interesting.  I will have to try that.  I have only calibrated twice, in the first couple of months of owning my now 2 year old 6500.  Since then, without the GPS oscillator, it seems to be dead on and rock solid, at least compared to anything else I have ever used, including my 1500, which I calibrate every couple of months.  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.