Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

my 6000 is dead

Options
Power connection has failed. This was intermittent, now I can't turn the radio on at all.
The mechanical connection seems to be the issue. Hopefully the radio hasn't experienced 
any further issues due to the power going on and off randomly. This should not happen. Seems like a flaw. Wonder if anyone else has experienced this. I'm not happy.

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Converted to a support ticket
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I'm curious were  you unplugging the radio on a regular basis?  How old a radio?
    Bob
  • Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I never, or rarely, shut the radio off.
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Bizarre.  I hope it turns out to be something simple.
    73, Bob
  • Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Yeah me too. I've heard from other people that the connectors that are used do fail on occasion. 
  • Bob Needleman
    Bob Needleman Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    That’s 2 power pole issues in 1 week! Might be helpful to clean and adjust the contacts and use a different cable.
  • Neil Friedman
    Neil Friedman Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Seems to me a little premature to conclude that it is a powerpoles issue.  
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Perhaps his radio has Covid?   Or could it be Anderson PWR Politus Disease?
    OK, yes, be fair, it could also be as simple as a loose fuse connector inside the
    radio.
  • Bob Needleman
    Bob Needleman Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I'm betting on a bad SD card (didn't he say he left it connected when he went away on vacation?). 
  • Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Mine has been on almost 24/7 since I got it (2 years ago). I remote most of the time.
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Howard, what version are you running? To Bob's point, if you are on an older revision of v2 or v3, you could be suffering from an SD card corruption issue. 73, Len, KD0RC
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    You don't say what model of 6000? The 6700 has the built-in 2m social distancing, I'm in Canada so we're on the darn metric system so to be safe and make sure I'm covered in the British system as well, to keep my distance I run 6 kc wide just in case. No what so-called experts says, better safe than sorry.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Before you send it in, take the top cover off, and check the 30 amp fuse. If fuse ok, then since you have cover, plug in the power and check at the inner connector for DC power.  Then you can determine what the next step is.  At minimum replace the power pole on the DC feed wire, before sending radio to the radio hospital.   I think it is a #6 to Torx driver.  Some one correct me if I am wrong.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Just a note... I wrote up my experience with a power pole failure.  See if it was or is similar.  
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Glad to see a Help Deck Ticket was started by FRS.

Just opened my 6600 and it uses #8 Torx.  Not certain if there are differences across the Flex-600 lineup.

SD Card issue see to usually result in a failure flashing LED, rather than a stone cold dead unit.

Fuse, power cable and power supply type issues can leave the radio dead.  That is time to use your test meter.

Andersen Powerpoles mode of failure is more typically mechanical.  There are plenty of online resources on how to tweak your powerpoles as they are pretty basic.  (I'm not a powerpole fan but they work in thousands of shacks every day.)

There are some other things that can affect a radio, but if the basics haven't fixed it then it is time to work through things with FRS via the Help Desk.

And in the end FRS is your friend who will help you figure it out if you don't get results bouncing it off the community or on your own.  One great thing they do is inventory what you actually have and are running, with a follow up set of questions based off of much experience in sorting out that sort the problem.

GL and pse let the community know what was wrong,

Steve
    K9ZW

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    While you're waiting on a trouble ticket response, you might want to consider installing a new set of power poles on your power source, just to make sure the problem isn't on your end.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Thanks for the correction on the Torx....

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.