My 160m cw Signal 'Appears' to be very wide on the pan adapter, why?

• Question
  • Updated 6 days ago
When I transmit on cw on 160m it appears I'm wiping out the band.  Per the pan adapter my signal is 16khz +- wide.  I know this is not the case as I had a local buddy listened to my signal and he says it's very clean and very narrow as it should be.

So why would the SmartSDR pan adapter show a very wide signal when it isn't?

This is on a 6600 non-M model.

I worked 7 new countries on 160m during the ARRL 160 contest, so it was a good weekend.

Thanks in advance.

Rich - N5ZC
Photo of Rich - N5ZC

Rich - N5ZC

• 180 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes

Posted 1 week ago

Photo of kg5eiu

kg5eiu

• 35 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Does it look something like this?

That is what I see on 10M in my pan - as I do down the bands - towards 160M the display in the pan gets thinner and thinner  like this:

I have had buddies check and confirmed my signal was good etc.

-cs

Photo of Rich - N5ZC

Rich - N5ZC

• 180 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
It does, but my signal gets thinner as i go up the bands with 160 being the worst.

Rich - N5ZC

Photo of k3Tim

k3Tim

• 848 Posts
  • 166 Reply Likes
Congrats in the +7 countries on 160; a challenging band...

This maybe due to antenna SWR and power being reflected back into the chassis, rattling around a bit and being sent back out. The receiver is very sensitive so it'll pick up this energy. A test using a 50 ohm dump may yield an interesting result.

_..--
k3Tim / 7
Photo of Gayle Lawson

Gayle Lawson

• 37 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Rich:

I assume that you are using a beverage or other RX antenna.  Are you disconnecting it during transmit?  I found that if my RX antennas are not being  keyed off during transmit , the transmitted signal looks bad on the pan-adapter, RF coming in the RX port.  If your not disconnecting the RX antenna, look at things using just the TX antenna.

Congratulations on the new countries.  I had a hard time hearing DX with all of the storms circling Iowa this week end.  This morning I found that the zip cord had been cut on my RBOG, going out to
fix it now (its misting/sleeting here right now)

Hope this helps 

Gayle K0FLY
Photo of Rich - N5ZC

Rich - N5ZC

• 180 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
That did the trick Gayle,

I'm using a BOG receive antenna.  When I used the transmit antenna for xmit and receive the signal cleaned up nicely.

I do have an Array Solutions front end protector in line with the BOG. 

I need to work on my BOG to get the length right, once that's done I'll add a 2nd BOG for JA and a switching network to handle 4 directions.

Rich - N5ZC
Photo of Gayle Lawson

Gayle Lawson

• 37 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Rich:

Glad that cleared up your concerns.  I also use a 6600 , I connect the  BOG on RX input A, I also have a K9AY setup which is connected to RX input B.  I  switch between them by  selecting one of the receive inputs on the 6600.   You can also use the Diversity mode on the 6600 for an omni directional receive antenna.  You can do the same with two BOGs one connected to RX A and the other connected to RX B.  That way you don't need an external switching arrangement.  

Flex Systems engineering did their home work as far as providing options for integrating the radio into ones station.  I also have 6500, at the time that I ordered the 6600, i questioned myself about getting another radio.  I'm beginning to realize the advantages of two SCUs.

I'm in town with lots of noise, I see little difference between the BOG and the K9AY on 160.  The 200 foot BOG appears to work better on 80 than the k9AY.  I've installed two additional ground rods before the ground freezes in case I want to add a second BOG.

Gayle  K0FLY
Photo of Lasse Moell

Lasse Moell

• 91 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Sorry for hi-jacking the thread :)
Gayle, what type of transmitting antenna do you use, and how big improvement do you notice using the K9AY (or BOG)? I am about to roll out a BOG as the noise on my inv-L is really killing the fun on top band. Wish I had a dual SCU but for now have to settle with my 6500. The ability to go down to 50 Hz and the APF makes all the difference, and maybe I can dig even deeper down into the noise with that new antenna.
Photo of Gayle Lawson

Gayle Lawson

• 37 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Lasse:

The TX antenna is a modified Hy Tower, go to my QRZ page for description and pictures.

I have found the K9AY and the RBOG to be about equal.  It depends on conditions which is better. The BOG pattern is a little sharper and rejects high angle signals a little better.  The BOG is layed out for NE/SW, it hears Europeans a little better than the K9AY.  I added the BOG because a couple of friends with 500 and 1000 foot beverages were hearing better that I did with the K9AY.  They still hear better than I do.. The bog does not hear signals off to the side.  

Your noise and signals will drop at least 20 dB, however, you will hear signals that can not be heard on the vertical.  Turn on your preamp. 

Gayle K0FLY

Photo of Craig Williams

Craig Williams

• 81 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
I had a similar problem on 80M. Here was the answer https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/junk-on-80m-tune-on-flex-6400
Photo of bahillen

bahillen

• 66 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
The disabling of TX and RX antennas is something that I need to confirm. I thought it did. The setup of radio with my BOG was setup different this week. Have 6600. Ant 1 for TX and RX and RXB on my BOG. Two receivers on same frequency with two wsjt-x instances. On CW I use left ear and right ear on headphones.

With only using RX on BOG you miss stations calling from another direction. When I looked at the Flex I thought how could I possibly use more receivers. Now I wonder how I ever got by with a conventional radio. I seldom use less than 3 receivers and 4 are my standard configuration. Two SCUs are powerful. If I am working a station I really want and right in the noise I have shut down to one band to get out of the Wide mode just in case. Don’t know if it helped but I don’t want to mess it up after getting a response.

My BOG is not reversible and last winter I used two BOGs, one worked great the other was fair. If it aims at the noise sources it is useless! So work in progress.

Bill
W9JJB