Must I purchase another radio non signature series to function with 2m and 70cm or will my flex 6700 somehow do this

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
2m 70 cm operation
Photo of James Madden

James Madden

• 201 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of KF4HR

KF4HR

• 827 Posts
  • 274 Reply Likes
Photo of David Warnberg

David Warnberg

• 698 Posts
  • 91 Reply Likes
There is also the Elecraft Transverter option
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1782 Posts
  • 547 Reply Likes
There are a few posts about this.

Downeast Microwave (DEMI) sells a plug and play PreAmp/Amp that will work with the 6700 2m band to give you a full 60w. It will cost you a bit less than $400.

You can add a transverter for 70cm. You can go the cheap route with the russian made $75 transverter and an amplifier for about $200 or spend $500 (all said and done) with the DEMI version.

Good news is that you can take advantage of the sensitivity and the panadapter of the 6700.

Bad news is that, DEMI has a fairly long backlog, so you are looking at about 6 months if you order now, it will cost you about $1000 and (worst part) you cannot get a fully automatic full duplex (even though there are 2 receivers in the 6700) because there is only ONE transverter port.

You cannot create a transverter map on either of the other antennas.

You have to use the transverter (XVRT) port to TX in either 2m or 70cm and then you can use one of the RX ports to receive. If you then want to Transmit in 70cm, you have to either build your own external antenna switch (which is not trivial on VHF and UHF frequencies) or you have to manually switch between 2m and 70cm transverters in the XVRT port.

The fact that I do not have a second physical XVRT port on the back of the 6700 it's a disappointment. The only solution that I can see is that FRS can repurpose the RX Out ports to be used as XVRT ports with a firmware upgrade (something that I don't even know if it is possible).
(Edited)