Must have been a difficult few remaining bugs...

• Praise
  • Updated 2 years ago
Not at all trying to stir the pot but the few last remaining issues must have been difficult to take 1/2 of July to find and fix.   Then again we did lose a week due to July 4th...

Still keep checking the website each day hoping to see 2.x release.
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1370 Posts
  • 510 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Kevin N9JKP

Kevin N9JKP

• 42 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Same here
Photo of KF4HR

KF4HR

• 842 Posts
  • 276 Reply Likes
I sure hope V2.0 is all people hope it will be. 
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9199 Posts
  • 3559 Reply Likes
Mark, there is a strict quality process we employ and we do not deviate, especially when there is time pressure.  Finding and fixing a bug is at least a 2-week endeavor.  Once root cause is found and fixed, the fix is subjected to a team level code review (which can be brutal when your peers have to approve your work), followed by cutting the release and then giving it to the alpha team to test.  Our alpha test periods are usually one week to allow for multiple use cases to be vetted.  We could cut corners, but we just won't do it.

And yes, there was a nasty deadlock bug that needed to be addressed (and it has been).

I hope my explanation helps calm the liquid vortex that has the potential to be created from this post ;-)
(Edited)
Photo of Jd Dupuy

Jd Dupuy

• 155 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
Take your time! Enjoying cutting lumber and nailing it together to form a house!
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9199 Posts
  • 3559 Reply Likes
We are completing the punch list and installing the appliances, so it is all good.
Photo of Mark WS7M

Mark WS7M

• 505 Posts
  • 153 Reply Likes
It does Tim.  I am glad you are forcing the process.  It certainly cannot hurt. 

I spent most of my career on critical path measurement apps where we could not take that luxury.  In fact many times we fixed at night.  Tested the next day, and then went to the customer late afternoon.

Not how I wanted to do it but when the instrument was down and the assembly line as well it often had to be that way.

I remember once in a routine I wrote that figured out the non-repeatable runout of a disk spindle and the code fed that output from a test in a line controller that very sporadically it would return 0.0 when there really was runout.   

The problem was the line controller was smart enough to know 0.0 was pretty much impossible so it would halt the line and raise an error.

Of course I was notified of this bug at 4:59pm on a Friday and they needed a fix right away.  Had to tell the wife I needed to work.  Spent the night finding and fixing the bug and had them up and running by about 2am.  

It happens.  I get it.  Wish I had the luxury of doing it how you are doing it.
Photo of David Livingston

David Livingston

• 122 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes

Amen...!!!

Photo of G0VLF

G0VLF

• 33 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Tim, it’s good to know a business such as FlexRadio has excellence in quality at the heart of what it does by focusing and evaluating its product, to ensure it delivers what it promises first time. I certainly wouldn’t like to have a product which has been quickly released based on acquiring and maximising profit.

There have been too many examples of this in business generally and you only have to look at other amateur radio manufacturers for examples of this.
Photo of Dave - WB5NHL

Dave - WB5NHL

• 289 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
My old software manager would drive management crazy when asked " When will the software problem be fixed". His answer was always "No software problem is ever fixed before its time". While customers can be difficult, senior management in a large corporation are brutal!
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 638 Posts
  • 172 Reply Likes
Comments like these make me really happy I never pursued programming as a profession only a little of what I thought was some slick basic on a C64 in the early 80's. Not that management in any venue can't drive you nuts with their personal reality.  Fortunately the previous ver of SSDR will generally suffice with no contest lost.
Photo of Andrew Thall

Andrew Thall

• 177 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
When I was a programmer I had two signs over my cubicle. 
1.  Its exactly what I asked for -- but it's not what I want!
2.  If builders built buildings the way programmers build programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy all of civilization.
Photo of Dave Gipson

Dave Gipson

• 164 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
I like number 1 in particular. We also had a saying at the labs, "There comes a time in every project when it becomes necessary to shoot the engineer and start production." 

lol.. Your mileage may vary.  BTW... I understand and can wait in this case. :)
(Edited)
Photo of Mark WS7M

Mark WS7M

• 505 Posts
  • 153 Reply Likes
I generally have this posted somewhere where I work:

You can find this pic on the web by searching for "how the customer described"
(Edited)
Photo of Logan, KE7AZ

Logan, KE7AZ

• 54 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
My mantra was
     Schedule - Budget - Performance, Pick two....
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3789 Posts
  • 1638 Reply Likes

Mine Started as:

"Quality or Price AND TIME"

But after a few years project experience it morphed into

"Save me Time NOT MONEY!"

Surprisingly - if we targeted time and quality we usually saved a lot of money over trying to save time.. because there turns out to be a huge cost of elapsed time.

Perhaps the hardest thing for people working on projects to realize is to NOT try to save money because the alleged savings by using lower quality components and/or especially taking more time ended up costing more money in the long run.

By the end of my working career we always brought in projects in under time and under budget but it was a very hard lesson to learn not to watch the pennies but you must watch the clock.

Photo of Michael Coslo

Michael Coslo

• 947 Posts
  • 259 Reply Likes
There is never enough time to do it correctly, but always enough time to do it over again. Meantime, my radio works fine, so I'm happy to wait. 

Actually, I'll even wait a month after it comes out.
Photo of George - AB4FH

George - AB4FH

• 64 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
I agree with Howard.  Toward the end of my career, I taught project management to our Senior Project Managers.  We found that "burn rate" or dollars/month while a project was running was almost constant.  Saving time saved money.  Also, the time to pay back the project (usually was a capital project to increase production capacity) roughly doubled for each month the project was late.  Hence, a double whammy.  
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1680 Posts
  • 616 Reply Likes
Yep, I really do have the “Fast, Cheap, Right: Pick Two” poster framed in my office, right at the entrance. Words to live by! Thanks for the update, Tim.