Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Multipsk and wide range RSID detection

Andrew O'Brien
Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in New Ideas
I have been trying to generate a bit more enthusiasm for Multipsk's SDR/Direct feature and the wide frequency range that an RS ID can be detected if you use Multipsk in conjunction with an SDR.  Here is a statement I made to someone that corresponded with me directly.  He was expressing some frustration with how difficult he found it to set up (he was new to MUltipsk) and how few RSid's he found once it was set up .

"It works quite well,  but I agree it takes some patience to set it up. The general convention is that RSID is only used on modes that are uncommon, that means RTTY, JT65A, and PSK31 users don't normally use RS ID. That excludes about 90% of the digital modes one is likely to encounter. In the frequency range -+ 24 Khz from 14070 , Olivia is the only none RTTY-JT65-PSK31 signal you can regularly expect to hear at least once or twice per hour. The other signals (PSK63, PSK125, Contestia, Thor, ALE 400, MFSK, Throb, , ROS, ) are in the "perhaps once or twice per day" range. So, patience is indeed a virtue . What this Multipsk feature  does provide , is an ability to be using the "panoramic" mode for PSK31 and work those  stations while getting an alert when one of the rare modes pops up further up the band. . So, with an SDR and these Multipsk features, you do not miss the rare modes while parked on PSK frequencies".

With the new Flex 6300 transceiver on the market,  and apparently quite popular, there are a few comments from many hams that the Flex software (SmartSDR) does little for digital mode users. This is perhaps unfair criticism because the Flex concept appears to be that digital mode decoding is via third party software. I think this is a wise approach by Flex.  Multipsk is still the only commonly available digital mode software that supports the ability to detect a Reed-Solomon ID over a range up to 192 Khz. 

Andy K3UK

Comments

• Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I do about 75% of my HF work on digital modes. This sounds like a great ability. Maybe this could be added to the roadmap after WAN remote is complete.
  • AE0MW
    AE0MW Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I was actually working with MultiPSK on my Flex-6300 last night. I never successfully managed to get it to work with the I/Q DAX channel.

Is there a tutorial on MultiPSK with 6x00 somewhere? I was working towards trying to setup exactly what you were describing.
  • Andrew O'Brien
    edited August 2014
    I do not have a 6x00 yet, so I am not sure just how it will work with Multipsk.  I'm making some assumptions...  That DAX IQ would work similar to directing the IQ from a legacy Flex and that you would tell Multipsk to use DAX IQ RX 1 for Soundcard Input. .  Does that not work ? 
    Andy K3UK
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    I tried to get DAX IQ to work with WSPR and was completely unsuccessful.  RSIDs over 192k sounds pretty great.  I might have to go play with it a bit and see if I can get it to go.
  • AE0MW
    AE0MW Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    That's why I did, and it created a 2nd waterfall for the DAX IQ, but I couldn't get it to decode anything. I probably only spent 1/2 hour working on it before I got distracted by DX. I'll have to give it another shot this weekend.
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Well, finally found some time this weekend to play with this.  First off, I have to say that Multipsk has got to have the worst user interface design in the entire universe.  I remembered it once I opened it...and also why I closed it without trying to understand it.

So, I set it to use DAX I/Q channel 1, set that up in the waterfall (the dax button on the left) and hit the DAX button on the right and I did get the waterfall to work in Multipsk.  You also have to hit "Direct via the sound card" on the configuration/startup screen.  It's under "I/Q interfaces for SdR transceivers" grouping.

I have it set for 48K, Multipsk only sees what's in the panadapter window, which it then represents in the I/Q waterfall.  Within that waterfall, you can select pieces of it to view on the application waterfall.  The I/Q waterfall does have the RSID selection, and I did see it work properly and identify an Oliva transmission.  I haven't quite figured out exactly how to get the frequency on the radio vs. i/q waterfall vs. app waterfall to line up properly so it reports correctly on PSKReporter, so I turned that bit off.  Didn't try TXing yet, just the RX has been enough of a challenge.

Used DXLab HRD bridge so mutipsk could talk to the radio.  Bridge didn't want to talk to Minideluxe oddly enough, had to fire up the real HRD for it to work, but work it did.

On another topic, got the DRM (Dream) app to work reasonably well decoding some DRM HF broadcasts, but even with a great radio, decent antenna and all sorts of computing power, reception was still poor.
  • Andrew O'Brien
    edited August 2014
    Mike, I had know problems transmitting with Multipsk and its SDR/Direct feature when used with my Flex 3000 and PowerSDR.  I'm still learning SmartSDR so have not made a transmission yet. For frequency reporting to PSK Reporter I added DX Lab's  application, Commander, and DDutil  to the picture.  With the Commander button in Multipsk click on, Multipsk displays the frequency from the Flex and adds the information from your waterfall position.  Andy K3UK.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.