Multiple mics with a 6400

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • (Edited)
Being in the Atlanta area we are fortunate to have two great mentors W4AX and AE4CW who have been great help to a new FLEX owner (me).
However I am curious how others are handling multiple mics WITHOUT unplugging and switching mics, which can be a pain. With the 6400 having connectors on the back it is cumbersome to switch my Heil 781 and the Heil Proset 7. A further complication is that I also use the great EQPlus and iPlus from Julius W2IHY. since i still have another HF radio that will be my back up. So any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
73  Neil   N4FN
Photo of Neil   N4FN

Neil N4FN

• 71 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Mack McCormick

Mack McCormick, Elmer

• 322 Posts
  • 115 Reply Likes
Neil,

As I shared on the phone. The easiest way to accomplish this is to plug one microphone in the MIC jack on the rear of the radio. Then build a adapter to plug the  W2IHY into the HD DB-15 receptacle. The pins on the DB-15 HC are 1 (hot), 5 (ground). You can then select the desired mic from SSDR, Maestro, or via different profiles.

Mack
W4AX
Alpha Team
Photo of K5ROX

K5ROX

• 89 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Here how I cover multiple mics and radios.
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 555 Posts
  • 188 Reply Likes
Very Nice!
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2959 Posts
  • 642 Reply Likes
What I have done in the past was to use a simple 4 channel mixer. I would plug my mics into the mixer and simply turn down the mic I was not using but had them all connected. Then from the mixer to line in on the Flex.
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1039 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
I wish they still sold these. I regret selling mine along with the receive audio mixer.

https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/filters/NCS3240.html
Photo of K5ROX

K5ROX

• 89 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
dang I though mine was an original....
Photo of VE3DZP

VE3DZP

• 16 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I bought the MFJ-1263 mic controller and use my Heil Pro 7 and my Kenwood MC-90 no problem