Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Multiple Instances SmartSDR - Same PC - Multi PCs - V3 updates?

KM0T
KM0T Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
All,

I did some research on the community on the subject matter, but nothing new came up related to the latest version 3 release of if anything has changed with V3..  Sorry if this is redundant, but wanted to get the latest info.

---
Wanted - don't think the below is allowed yet...or if it ever will be?

Ideal situation - would like to run two instances of SmartSDR on the same PC, each instance to a different series 6000 radio.

Remote is not a consideration... this is all local lan stuff.

Please confirm if you know?
----

----
Running SmartSDR for radio #1 on PC #1
Running SmartSDR for radio #2 on PC#2

Today can we just use the chooser, or do we need to a filter file for SmartSDR, CAT and DAX.  From what I could find, as of a year ago, DAX needed the filter file to separate its use.

Wondering if the chooser works for all programs now.
---

----
Now bear with me... I used PC #1 and radio #1 with SmartSDR configured for two transverters and a USB bit cable - relay board, works great. 

Then I added the radio #2, I installed SmartSDR on PC#2.  I got that all working fine on HF, 6M, etc.

I then tried to see what would happen if I selected radio#1 from PC #2 on the chooser upon SmartSDR startup.  Both radios showing up in the chooser.

I figured that I would have to set all the transverter setting up, etc.  However, it came up configured, but did not work.  Even the USB bit cable appeared to be setup as before, but did not appear to work.

Am I missing something here?  Not sure as its just software interface from "any pc" on the network, but how it knew to have the transverters set up is a mystery to me.  I need more time to dig into it, but I thought I would throw it out there if I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks for your time - 73 de KM0T

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2019
    Ideal situation - would like to run two instances of SmartSDR on the same PC, each instance to a different series 6000 radio.

With SmartSDR v3 the answer is yes, however, currently, you can only run one instance of DAX and CAT on the same PC.
  • KM0T
    KM0T Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    So Tim, how do you do that?  Do you somehow install two instances of SmartSDR on the same PC? Or do you double click the SmartSDR Icon the 2nd time and use radio chooser just run a "seperate" copy of SmartSDR for the particular radio.  If I dont autostart CAT and DAX for either instance, this would work?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2019
    The later. You just click on the SmartSDR for Windows icon a 2nd time and select the 2nd radio.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    How when using a VPN? Can one run two instances of SmartSDR on the same computer one on the local LAN and one over the VPN tunnel?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2019
    @Jim. The same way I just referenced.  You have to use a bridged VPN so the IP networks are the same.
  • Carsten G0SYP
    Carsten G0SYP Member
    edited May 2019
    Sorry for highjacking the thread, but this is related:

I have got a 6600M and would like to use the Maestro on the radio for SSB/CW work while using SmartSDR on the PC for digital modes (FT8/MSK144 on 6m). This all works a treat. The only problem I have is that WSJT-X (and others) need CAT to the SmartSDR on the PC while I'd like my logging software to use CAT from the radio/Maestro.

It looks like this is not possible as long as you can't run 2 instances of SmartSDR CAT. Is that right, or is there a workaround?

• Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2019
    It looks like this is not possible as long as you can't run 2 instances of SmartSDR CAT. Is that right, or is there a workaround?

That is correct.  Only one instance of DAX and CAT are currently supported running on the same PC.
  • KM0T
    KM0T Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Yes, it is related, I never got around to asking this.  So Tim, is there any talk about how that might be added or implemented, or is that asking too much right now?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2019
    We have a request in our enhancement database to be able to run multiple instances of DAX and CAT.  At this time it has not been scheduled.  If you are going to Hamvention, I'd talk to our Sales and Engineering teams about it.
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    ...would like to run two instances of SmartSDR on the same PC, each instance to a different series 6000 radio.

With SmartSDR v3 the answer is yes,

----------------------

Do BOTH computers need to be running v3?  TNX.

• Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2019
    You mean do both radios have to be running v3 as the PC software is not licensed.  The answer is no.  You can start SmartSDR v2.x and connect to a radio running v2 firmware, but the 2nd radio must be running SmartSDR v3.  You have to connect to the radio running SmartSDR v2 first.
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Have a 6400 V2 and a 6300 V1.

Had thought of upgrading the 6400 to V3 now if necessary and running the 6300 with V1 with it's own antenna on the same computer at the same time. If that would work?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2019
    It will, but using any FLEX-6000 running SmartSDR v1 is not preferable.  Let me explain why.  

There have been a LOT of bug fixes and performance enhancements that have occurred since v1.11.12 was released.  And while SmartSDR v1 is still fully supported by FlexRadio, if there is a bug in a v1 release that has been addressed in a later v2 or v3 release, it will probably not be fixed in SmartSDR v1 because of possible underlying architectural changes, especially between the v1 and v3 and the upcoming v2.5.0 release (SmartSDR v2.5.0 will have the same underlying architecture as SmartSDR v3) that may make the fix impossible to implement.
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    TNX.
  • s55z
    s55z Member
    Hello Community.
    Since there are many of you FlexRadio experts, I have a request for help.
    Karli S52AW have right now FR6600M and FR6400+Maestro. We want to control both FRs through one PC. SmartSDR CAT recognizes both transceivers, but only one can be connected at a time. We want to build a full SO2R with two FRs on one computer.

Is there any other software to create CAT and DAX drivers for both transceivers at the same time?

Can the development team upgrade the program so that CAT and DAX drivers can be created for both transceivers?

We also tried two instances of SmartSDR CAT, but the second instance just doesn't work under no conditions (v3.4.21 and combination of v2 and v3).

If we can't control two transceivers from N1MM, then this is a big drawback of FR... FR6600 and other FR transceivers are very superior radios and we love them!

Using two PCs to drive two FlrxRadios is not a consideration. Ctrl+arrow left or right is a priority transition between radios, it requires the use of one keyboard and functions that we made especially for this purpose (automatic switching of audio signals with the new Audio Master SO2R).

73 de Dragan S55Z and Karli S52AW
  • MarkS
    MarkS Member ✭✭

I have run two instances on one (physical) computer. I have a windows 10 PC with a windows 11 Virtual Machine. Both can run SmartSDR, DAX, CAT or just DAX and CAT.

The windows 11 is an unregistered test version that can be downloaded from Microsoft. I run it using “Virtual Box”.

Might be a “no cost thing to try” if you think it meet your needs.

Mark (wd9jen)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.