Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Multi Monitor Possibility

Steve Belcak
Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
If u are like me there never seems to be enough space even on two 24" monitors.....several months back I was using my wife's Surface Pro 4 (10.1" screen) .....using a docking hub I also connected two 24" monitors. I made the Pro 4 the primary screen for ssdr....in this configuration I now had the two large screen monitors to handle all the other display requirements....so I'm asking a question about something I have already tried and liked.....but I was wondering if anyone else has tried this approach?  Does anyone have experience with a small 10/12" monitor they would recommend? and Finally does anyone see any shortfalls to an approach like this?
Thanks for your thoughts/opinions.....73

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    At my office since I work at a TV station they give all of us TVs at our desks. The TVs are 15 inch widescreen LCD HDTVs. We connect our computers there too, and it works really well. I keep my IM and email there. So in a pinch you can do that.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Hi Steve,

I don't have a particular monitor to recommend but a quick Amazon search revealed quite a few 10" monitors but none with name brands.

I think your layout is really what works best for you.   I often operate from a 13" laptop and that is with the current SSDR a little tough.  When the peel off Pans are available in 2.0 I think it will be easier.

I have always personally liked having a "control panel" were I do all the settings and controls and then having pan adapters I can move around.  I personally started my own client about 2 years ago with this concept in mind but time and life got in the way so the project is on hold.

So I can't see any down points at all to what you want to do.

Mark

• Andy M5ZAP
    Andy M5ZAP Member
    edited May 2020

I personally don't like using monitors of dissimilar resolution as it always bugs me when moving the mouse from a high resolution to a low resolution monitor when the resolution misalignment can cause problems

I use 3 monitors and still run out of desktop. I have always wondered what a large 4k tv on the wall behind my monitors would be like.

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I use this layout too as it allows me to see a lot of code at the same time, vertically. image
  • Steve Belcak
    Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Andy...u make a good point....in my setup I had (3) different resolutions and  I remember it caused problems at times
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    i can never get enough screen real estate...i currently run 3 - 21inch monitors
    and one 27 inch monitor..and have at times added an Ipad

I use a KVM switch cause this setup has two mac minis running flex  6300  wiht ssdr or dogparksdr,  cwskimmer, fldigi, and sdr-console with a sdrplay and macloggerDX and macdoppler

Now waiting for 6600M to replace the 6300.

imageimage
  • Jim Bryce W5HFS
    Jim Bryce W5HFS Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Multiple monitors are very helpful. Here's my solution. I use suspension arms to keep the monitors off the desk. These are made by Ergotron; they are expensive and worth every penny. Cheap arms are junk; trust me; I tried them. The left, vertical monitor, is a Vizio TV I've connected by HDMI that I also sometimes run audio to. Generally I keep it on the internet for QRZ.com etc. The middle monitor is the station computer. a Microsoft Surface Pro 1 running DM-780 for digital signals. It's mounted in the MS docking station. Next to that is an Asus monitor mounted horizontally running Smart SDR on my Flex 6700. With the suspension arms you can change from portrait to landscape, move back and forth, up and down, and stick things under the monitors -- the way to go. When Smart SDR 2.x comes out I'll probably rearrange and spread various Smart SDR screens among different monitors. I have a similar set up in my office running a Surface Pro 3 with two Asus monitors plus the Surface 3 and also driving a large Vizio TV in the living room, that's four monitors; I often run my station from there. While I can walk around the house with a tablet and operate the station, I'm really looking forward to Smart SDR 2.x with true internet remote capability.

• Jim Bryce W5HFS
    Jim Bryce W5HFS Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Multiple monitors are very helpful. Here's my solution. I use suspension arms to keep the monitors off the desk. These are made by Ergotron; they are expensive and worth every penny. Cheap arms are junk; trust me; I tried them.

The left, vertical monitor, is a Vizio TV I've connected by HDMI that I also sometimes run audio to. Generally I keep it on the internet for QRZ.com etc. The middle monitor is the station computer. a Microsoft Surface Pro 1 running DM-780 for digital signals. It's mounted in the MS docking station. Next to that is an Asus monitor mounted horizontally running Smart SDR on my Flex 6700.

With the suspension arms you can change from portrait to landscape, move back and forth, up and down, and stick things under the monitors -- the way to go. When Smart SDR 2.x comes out I'll probably rearrange and spread various Smart SDR screens among different monitors.

I have a similar set up in my office running a Surface Pro 3 with two Asus monitors plus the Surface 3 and also driving a large Vizio TV in the living room, that's four monitors; often run my station from there.

While I can walk around the house with a tablet and operate the station, I'm really looking forward to Smart SDR 2.x with true internet remote capability.

• nz2z
    nz2z Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I ran across a bunch of 10" Craig TV's with HDMI. I had 6 and 2 went bad, but use 4 in the shack for various things. Have used one with my old Flex 5000 with no problems and good quality.  Dont know how easy it is to find them, I found them in a discount store north of Atlanta a few years back. I have not seen very many small monitors since.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.