Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Multi-microphone switchbox being sold?

Roy Laufer
Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
edited November 2018 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Hello,

I have a number of different microphones, and I would like a simple way to switch between them for my 6700.

I realize that I could simply build my own switchbox, or kludge an old computer port switch with modified microphone adapters, but I was wondering if there was a simpler, less labor intensive option?

I see boxes to port the same microphone into different radios and I assume that this can be inverted, but I have not read whether this is within their design (and they seem to cost a lot, for a simple mechanical foster connector switch).

Anyone know if such a switchbox exists? I would prefer at least three separate microphone selections, but more than that would be nice.

Please don't threaten to void my Ham license - I would just like to spare myself the time and finding someone with a drill press and a source of dry transfer type.

Thanks!

Roy AC2GS

Answers

• David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    You could use an mixer and the line/xlr input on the back of the flex.
  • Ron Morgan
    Ron Morgan Member
    edited November 2017
    I use the Behinger Mixer XENYX 802 with 8 inputs. It’s is about $50 and provides lots of options for input and mixing. You can buy bigger but I like the 8 input for its flexibility. And size. It sits right next to my keyboard.
  • Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Roy - You didn't mention how many mic's you wish to select from, but if that answer is "up to four" one option is if you can find a used NCS-3240 Multi-Switcher.  I say used because NCS no longer makes this product but these do pop up for sale on the online swapmeets occasionally (QRZ.com, etc).  This device allows up to four microphone inputs to be selected, and routes the selected mic to up to four rigs.  Internally the unit has provisions to accommodate low and high impedance microphones and an external mic gain control for each of the four mic inputs.

Butch - KF4HR
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I have a mixer and tried that.

I am looking for something much more compact, with less of a chance of picking up a gound loop 60 Hz hum, as well as a pass through for the PTT controls.
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    This is the kind of box that I am looking for, but they seem to be as rare as hen's teeth.

You would think that MFJ would be selling a low QC version of such a useful box!

(This reminds me of when I was looking for a transfer switch, which are sold cheaply from old microwave installations, but I was advised to look for a product that was discontinued in the 1960's instead.)

I am repeatedly amazed when I find the need for an item that apparently is not in demand by anyone else (or at the very least so few amateurs that even MFJ can't be bothered).
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    The mixer route is possible, but MFJ has a 2x mic 1x radio switch called the MFJ-1260: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1260 image They also have a 2x mic, 2x radio switch called the MFJ-1263: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1263
  • Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Roy - Reference the NCS-3240 Switcher, you might want to try putting out a WTB Query on QTH.com, eHam.com, and QRZ.com and see what turns up. 
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    This might be what you are looking for

http://ea2bqh.es/3in4trx.htm

He sells them for €175

DISCLAIMER: I have not tried it, I have no idea how good or bad it is and I have no affiliation with the builder/seller at all.

• Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Thanks. I've seen that. I would really prefer a 3 or better 4 mic switcher and the price seems high for a two position switcher.
  • N0AZZ
    N0AZZ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I have this same switch (1263) and have used one for many yrs 2 mics 2 radios, cost about $100 today.
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Thanks Salvador. They don't seem to mention price, which is never a good sign <grin>. It seems to have too many "bells and whistles" (equalizer, (level adjustment), and only one Foster connector...
  • Al Reeves
    Al Reeves Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Roy:

I have an MFJ-1263 that I used on my 6300 that I'm looking to sell.  I used it with various microphones. ie. PR-40, RE-27, Heil Headset and others.  Works great.  I decided to only use the RE-27.  Will sell for $90.00 shipped.

Al
    W1JHU
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    €175
  • Mickey N4MB
    Mickey N4MB Member
    edited December 2017
    W2IHY sells one, but I use the Behinger mixer similar to the one mentioned above. http://www.w2ihy.com/iplus-audio-switch.html
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I considered that device, but I do not believe that it can work in reverse - it is designed to pipe one microphone signal into one of three radios, not verse visa. Passive switch based devices can be reversed, but Julius' device has a bunch of op-amps that would be unhappy with Hams trying to reverse their signal directions!

I went with an MFJ-1263. I would have preferred something more flexible, and perhaps someday I will get my drill and soldering iron out and build one to my own specifications.

The MFJ-1263 had all manner of configurations to go from any brand of round microphone connector to any rand of round radio, as well as any brand of modular microphone connector to any brand of modular radio connector, but not a simple example of going from a round connector to a modular connector.

I gave MFJ and the first guy gave me some B.S. that Foster and RJ-45 use the same pin configurations. The second guy admitted that was a **** answer, looked for any further info around MFJ and then told me I was on my own and wished me luck!?

Buy American? Eh?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.