Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Multi-Client?

Michael Coslo
Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
edited June 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Is it allowed to get some hints on how the Multi-Client setup will work?
Is this a setup that will allow 2 (or more) people to work remotely in a multi-Op class in a contest?

Same Frequency or double bands? Would this be considered Multi-Single, or Multi-Multi? Probably Multi-single since you can't transmit two signals at the same time. 

How is this coordinated? I'm trying to envision all this, but I suspect what I'm thinking is wrong, because what I'm thinking of would be an exercise in frustration. 

Answers

• N8AUM
    N8AUM Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I wonder how much I can charge for FlexTime on FleaBay ?
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I have been testing 3.x but I cannot say anything really about it.  I think once it is out lots of our "pro" ops will figure this stuff out and we will have a number of "how to" docs.

Mark
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Pity - As a long time contest chairman, I might have had some input. Oh well, I guess I'll know what it does after it's finished. 
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    My understanding, based on what has been said publicly, it will allow one 6000-series radio 'receiver' to host as many independent 'slices' as the server will support (2x for 6300/6400, 4x on 6500/6600, 8x on 6700), and any user can 'steal' the transmitter when needed. Only one user/slice can transmit at one time. On radios with Maestro front panels, which only support two simultaneous 'slices' natively, it will allow the additional slices on the 6600M to be accessed by another device while the front panel is in use.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    As I understand things, another person can be loged into your radio without you even knowing, other then when they transmit that person has no effect on your operation. They have there own radio and all the settings are theirs. If that guest is transmitting your screen will tell you the transmitter is in use. As soon as the light is out your free to transmit.

Either way, this is completly new technology in ham radio, it will be very interesting considering they will build on this V3.
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019

For those who haven’t seen the press release at https://www.flexradio.com/downloads/press-release-smartsdr-v3/   :

Page 2:

I’m hoping that somewhere in v3.x they’ll add the previously discussed “mirror” function that lets one user operate multiple clients (say SSDR and Maestro) simultaneously on the same frequency. 

Howard

• HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019

I wish, but from some previous discussions I don’t think the initial v3 release will allow a user work the same slice/frequency simultaneously with multiple clients (each tracking the other).  That’s what I’d be most interested in – using the mouse in SSDR or knobs on Maestro, whichever I feel like using.   A complex design I’m sure, but maybe feasible further down the line in v3.x …….. ?

Howard
  • Gary Fortun
    Gary Fortun Member
    edited April 2019
    ICOM will soon follow with multiclient.
  • ZENKI
    ZENKI Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Actually, using the Icom remote access software allows a second person to use the second receiver without interfering with the main.
  • AC9S
    AC9S Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Right, but what some of us are looking for is the ability to share the functionality of two different devices (Maestro and SSDR) with a single client.  I suspect that is a tough nut.

Keith - AC9S
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Yes there will be others trying to catch up with Flex, give them time and they just may.
  • ZENKI
    ZENKI Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    This should not be a pissing match between Flex and the others. Flex has its own merits. The Icom built in internet server allows you to keep all clients in sync. Push a button on the screen and the light on the radio changes. Ditto for all other controls. With respect to the second radio, when you use the remote client you chose if you want to use receiver 1, 2, or both. Pretty simple.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    ZenkI,, what things do you like most about your Flex radio?
  • ZENKI
    ZENKI Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Pretty good receiver, paired with built-in SO2R capabilities, laying a good foundation for a simple station. The transmitter, however, can certainly benefit from pre-distortion. I don’t use SL so can’t comment.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    All radios can benefit from Pure Signal, But most Flexes go down as low as 40db, my 6500 does. For this reason most of us do not feel Pure Signal is so important.
  • James Whiteway
    edited March 2019
    Bill, ZINKI, if he's the same person on qth.com, is very much into transmitter IMD, and the benefits of Predistortion for spectrum purity. I agree with most of his thoughts on this, but I doubt that FRS will implement it anytime soon, given the already low IMD numbers for Flex transmitters compared to others currently on the market.(besides Anan) James WD5GWY
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Ok, James. There was no mention that Icom does not have it either.
    But as some have noticed, the PGXL addresses IMD in a different way with much the same results. The PGXL has a hamonic dummy load  that takes the harmonics from  the TX  and turns that energy into heat. Leaving a very clean signal.
  • James Whiteway
    edited March 2019
    Bill, the PGXL would be a very expensive solution to transmitter IMD for those of us not needing or wanting an amplifier. :-)
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Lol,, very true indeed.
  • James Whiteway
    edited March 2019
    Oh, and if I remember correctly, the 6000 Series already has the needed hardware connections internally. It only needs the firmware recoded to implement it. ( probably take some time to test)
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Correct, James. Gerald has alway said he wants to implement this in a Flex kind of way. But, would we want this before they re visit the RX filters? NB, NR and so on? And it is easy to understand why multi client is soon coming shoving those things further back.
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I think multiflex became a pressing issue when people with "6600M" radios had to choose between two slices on a maestro/front panel or all 4 available slices on a PC running SSDR. That "either/or" choice probably cut into 6600M sales, I guess.
  • James Whiteway
    edited March 2019
    Ken, for me it was an easy choice to trade up from my 6500 and Maestro to the 6600M. I like having an all in one radio (knobs and front display). And still can use SSDR if I want access to all four panadapters if I want. I think when milti-client comes along, and FRS allows SSDR or my app(once it's ben updated) to use 2 or three panadapters on my big monitor, I'll be in hog heaven! Bill, given that Flex's transmitters are already very clean , I would rather have the functions you mentioned, receive the attention from FRS that I and others feel they need. But, from a revenue standpoint, I can understand why FRS felt the need to get v3.x out sooner than later. And to reiterate, I would be hard pressed to want to get rid of my 6600M over something like the ANF. James

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.