Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Multi-client questions, M or not M?

Andy - KU7T
Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I got a 6600 on order. However, I am still playing with the idea to convert to the 6600M or get a Maestro.  I just cannot make up my mind.

Here is what I need to be able to do: contesting, SO2R, amp integration with XL, 6 x 2 switching, operating mostly in shack, but sometimes from office, hotel, etc. (I will use VPN, as Smartlink may not give me control of antennas, etc.). Quick minimal button access required: frequency tuning, volume, filter switching, NR changes.

I know that the M version and the Maestro have all that. It seems that the Flexcontrol has most, but lacks the filter switching. Also, I know that the M has better resolution than the Maestro.
Finally, I would like to have a larger screen for the panadapter, so would likely use computer monitor (either via HDMI or via multi-client).

I am trying to figure out this multi-client thingy. I know it is coming, but not when. Also, it seems for me it would be bad to get an M version and multi-client is not available yet, I would somehow decide if I want to use SmartSDR or the front plate controls. That is hard. So my questions are: 

When we say "multi-client" what do we actually mean? I know that I can connect SmartSDR, DDUtil and SmartCat and SDRBridge. Aren't these multiple clients already?  

Will nothing on the M-versions front plate work (buttons and display) or will just the display be black on the M version, if I use SmartSDR on the PC (today and when multi-client will be available)?

Is that the case for the Maestro as well?

Thanks and 73,
Andy

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2017
    When we say "multi-client" what do we actually mean? I know that I can connect SmartSDR, DDUtil and SmartCat and SDRBridge. Aren't these multiple clients already?  

There are two types of clients; gui and non-gui.  A gui client can create panadapters and slices.  The other one can't.  SmartSDR for Windows is a gui client.  All your other examples are non-gui clients.

Multi-client refers to multiple gui clients.  Today, only one gui client can connect to the FLEX-6000.

Will nothing on the M-versions front plate work (buttons and display) or will just the display be black on the M version, if I use SmartSDR on the PC (today and when multi-client will be available)?

Don't know yet.  TBD
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    hi andy

Appreciate  your SO2R requirements...antenna switching and amp control and other that are outside the control sphere of smartlink.

M vs Maestro decision may really depend on how much SO2R you plan to do remotely.  If more of your SO2R ops is in front of the radio, then M makes more sense to me.  I more of your SO2R ops is remotely, then Maestro seems to make more sense.

if more time SO2R is in the shack then you are the main equipment controller for antennas, amps and such.

However, when operating remote you still have to consider how to control all the other devices such as antennas , amps. So as a minimum some laptop running vpn connection back to your station. That same vpn connection can be used instead of smartlink to connect to the radio.

on remote ops, how many times will you need to setup and take down. or is it a more semi-permanent setup..like a vacation or second home
    and
    how much do you want to lug back and forth.

lot more variable to consider for M vs Maestro....

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.