Mother of All Knob Radios!

• Praise
  • Updated 4 years ago
Has anyone checked the cover of the latest QST?  There are more knobs, buttons, lights, and switches on that rig than they have on a whole factory full of FTDX-9000s. 

The caption says that Jim, K0ZB, built it to look like a submarine sonar console.  I didn't spend much time around the sonar equipment when I was on subs, but it does look like something you would find there.  The stainless steel cabinets are amazing and the workmanship that is apparent shows some really fine attention to detail.  Amazing work.  This is one guy that we'll never convert over to the Flex/SDR side.
Photo of Steve W6SDM

Steve W6SDM

• 625 Posts
  • 283 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 680 Posts
  • 287 Reply Likes
I read on his QRZ page he is selling it, so who knows about conversion

73  W9OY
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 860 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
Photo of Joe, KQ1Q

Joe, KQ1Q

• 79 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Ironically the QST cover is not what a modern submarine sonar console looks like. Here is a real one -- guess what it resembles: http://prometheus.med.utah.edu/~bwjones/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/Sonar-shack-angle-2-700.jpg

The first public description I recall of this was in Tom Clancy's 1985 novel Hunt for Red October.  The then-Secretary of the  Navy John Lehman said had Clancy been a naval officer he'd have been court-martialed for revealing the classified information.

Up that time the public perception of a sonar console was unchanged from the WWII depiction of many knobs and switches and a little rotary radar-like scope.
(Edited)
Photo of Jim Bryce W5HFS

Jim Bryce W5HFS

• 158 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Totally a work of art. I'll bet he'll be on Flex soon if he's not already.