Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Most Compatible Time Sync Software for WSJT-X

2»

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited July 2017
    There are IMHO, significant differences between NTP and SNTP, the latter being a brute force method for clock correction.  I prefer NTP which utilizes a drift file to reduce the time it takes to achieve a stable and accurate time.  Also, NTP does incremental clock corrections so that the timescale is effectively continuous and without discontinuities. Once set, the PC clock usually never deviates by more than 128ms. 

SNTP, on the other hand, does brute force corrections, that can result in abrupt time steps that lead to discontinuous time. By disregarding drift values and using simplified ways of system clock adjustment methods (often simple time stepping), SNTP achieves only a low-quality time synchronization when compared with a full NTP implementation.

Meinberg is based on the well-vetted NTP daemon and is updated regularly.  If you have a choice, NTP is the preferred one.  Use a time sync program that uses NTP rather than SNTP.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    There was one case where Meinberg simply refused to start and run (it was a friend's old XP system) and I just installed D4 instead. So D4 works, it's a good fallback but my preference is the NTP distribution from Meinberg.

Ria
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Been using it since 2008 or so. I started using it because I wanted to be able to log contest QSOs right down to the last second, and I figured that my defense against allegations of "rubber clocking" would be that my computer is sync'ed with NTP. I do not rubber clock (it's cheating) but I do try to maximize the time I have for the contest. :)
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I remember Steve mentioning it in a past post somewhere... I would buy a GPSDO just for that. :)

Ria
  • Jim  KJ7S
    Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    FWIW, I decided to give theFT8 mode a shot and, as with the other modes (jt9/65) I usually get good copy and once you learn a few of the little quirks with the operation of those modes, it's a lot of fun if you have the time to just exchange basic signal reports. I rather enjoyed the basic automatic nature of the program on the whole but it was fun to watch FT8 do it's work with nothing more than a double click on the call you want an exchange with. The usual default in n out DAX lines worked fine and I don't use any other than the default computer Time Sync.Kind of unusual from central Utah I was able to hit a German station right of the bat with nothing more than the Flex 6300 rig power and a rotatable dipole at 30'
  • WG5D
    WG5D Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Just a quick comment regarding NTP. I recently built a stratum 1 NTP server using a Raspberry Pi (3) and a $32 GPS module with PPS capability. It is pretty easy to build and nice to have a solid local time source for less than $100 :) I will be glad to share the image with anyone that is interested.

Phil -  WG5D
  • delorean2447
    delorean2447 Member
    edited July 2017
    Hi Phil,
    I'd be interested.  Today, I just got a RasPi2 going with WSJT-x.  Would I be able to integrate the GPS solution into what I have, or should I consider upgrading to the RasPi3?  Thanks!

Wayne / AG1A
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    How long does it take for the system to sync up and for the NTS daemon to accept the GPS input and start outputting time sync data to its clients?  I'm asking this because I took a look at the daemon wondering about using WWV and found that it might take hours before it was satisfied it had a good lock.

I'm also assuming that the Pi doesn't have a real time clock board, so it has no idea what time it is when it cold starts.
  • WG5D
    WG5D Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I have not tried it on a Pi 2, but it would probably work fine. Regarding the sync question, I leave mine on all the time, so it always has the correct time. The GPS unit does have a RTC with battery backup - but it does not come with a battery. On a reboot, it syncs up in a matter of seconds. I even have mine running in the ntp.org pool :)   
  • Mark Kennard
    Mark Kennard Member
    edited May 2020
    Both of these dont work. d4 refuses to run. 8 years faultless until yesterday ! Running W7 32bit. HELP !!
  • Mark Kennard
    Mark Kennard Member
    edited May 2020
     NETTIME.. installed it ..  working...  so far so good..  :)
    73 Mark.  ZL2WHO
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Meinberg is a hit or miss. Sometimes it works, otherwise I get 1-3 second errors. In such cases a restart is required
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Havn't restarted Meinberg in 2+ years.  Seems to work great with my 6600M on FT8.  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.