Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Monitoring your own FDV Transmission

Peter Bentley
Peter Bentley Member ✭✭
Just as with SSB or AM, it is possible to monitor your outgoing transmission by invoking FDX and opening a second receive slice, works well.

However, is it possible to do the same and monitor what is going out, but when running FDV ??

Peter
G4BIM

Answers

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Strangely enough, I have never tried that with FDV. I don't remember if FDV can be used on more than one slice at a time. I will give it a try this evening and see if I can make it work.
  • Peter Bentley
    Peter Bentley Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Thank you very much Ken
  • Peter Bentley
    Peter Bentley Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Did you have any luck Ken ? I have'nt.

Perhaps I should request an 'official' response from FR.

Regards
    Peter G4BIM
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I tried briefly last night and was not able to decode my own signal. I hadn't responded because I was going to try some more after a system reboot and re-installing the FDV waveforms just to make sure, but I ran out of time. I will play some more this evening. FDV may be a one slice at a time mode. Ken - NM9P
  • Peter Bentley
    Peter Bentley Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Hello Ken

Thank you very much for your work and efforts.

I have not succeeded either.

It would be nice if we could get it to work as it would useful to make audio input adjustments, it being a very different condition in terms of audio profiles to transmitting in SSB.

Perhaps if you are listening Steve, an official comment from FR might put us right quickly

Best wishes Ken

Peter G4BIM
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I downloaded and re-read the user guide for the FDV waveform, and here is the pertinent section: "Restrictions A few restrictions apply to using FreeDV with your radio. Please read these carefully to avoid confusion or problems while operating. 1. FDV Mode can only be selected on one Slice at a time. (Although the software will allow you to select it on multiple Slices this will interfere with proper decode and transmit). 2. Currently FreeDV will only operate on upper sideband. It is traditional to run lower sideband on frequencies below 10 MHz, i.e. 160, 80 and 40 Meter bands. Future versions will add this capability." So according to the user guide, the answer is...NO. You cannot, at this point, use FDV on two slices simultaneously. Perhaps they will add this feature at some time in the future. As far as setting up a MicProfile for FDV: I have found better results by cutting all lows below 300, dropping the sliders below 500 a bit, boosting some highs like I would in a mild DXing profile, and turning PROC to OFF. Excessive bass really seems to mess with the digital conversations in FDV, adding to the Mr. Roboto sound. Good luck. Ken - NM9P
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I had read this before, but it has been awhile since I have played with FDV and I forgot.....
  • Peter Bentley
    Peter Bentley Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Thank you for that Ed.

I completely agree with you regarding the MicProfile setting up, your experience is very similar to mine.

Hope to catch you on air some time....

Best wishes

Peter G4BIM
  • Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited January 2017
    good luck, ive been trying in vain to get them to do it for FM for years now..:(

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.