Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

monitor upgrade..

W5XZ - dan
W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in New Ideas
best buy has a deal...$99 for a 24" LED

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-ka240h-24-led-fhd-monitor-black/5588523.p?skuId=5588523&ref=212...

hits the w5xz threshold, anyway....< $100...they sure look nice...picked up a pair..
they don't seem particularly noisy either..

73, w5xz, dan

Comments

• Ed
    Ed Member
    edited March 2020
    Yes I saw those monitors for $99 what a deal. Great week at Best Buy with cyber week sales. I picked up a 23" HP monitor for my shack. I had one 25" HP for the Flex 6300 and I got the  23" to go with my Mac computer. They are very thin and light weight. Only paid $119 for the 23". Another great option.

73, W3PG, Ed
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    yup...and even a casual user like me can see the difference between LCD and LED, in addition to the energy savings...and light weight...the pan and waterfall are extra crispy and snappy, watching the ARRL 160m test..

• Ed
    Ed Member
    edited December 2016
    I replaced some pretty old monitors that I didn't think were too bad. Wow how crisp and bright the new ones are. The whites are stunning. Now I love my flex even more.
    I thought the Maestro was clear and bright and now my computer looks great also.
  • Bill Turner
    Bill Turner Member
    edited December 2016

For what it's worth:  I had a 24 inch monitor as my main monitor for years and recently picked up a second one just for SSDR. Frankly, it was too big and took up too much space on my desk and doesn't give any real benefit. If you want one, by all means get one, but for me a smaller one does the job just fine.

W6WRT

• W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I admit, they DO consume some desk top 'real estate', but i'm thinking of turning them on end..

have to admit, though, i like to waste a full screen on SmartSDR, and another on DxLab modules that i like..and a grayline i like..and occasional prod at wsjt-x..

just personal preference, i suppose

73, w5xz, dan
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited December 2016
    2x27 4K monitors here. Not satisfied. Want more bigger. Trying to find a good 40" 4K monitor to replace the two 27's or maybe in addition. :)

Point is, bigger monitors provide more flexibility and layout options if you need that. Otherwise they just take up desk space and probably attract unwanted spurious signals on the waterfall.

Kev K4VD

• Don Stefanik
    Don Stefanik Member
    edited December 2016
    I found getting a smart  tv was the best bet with hdmi.  Monitors don't last long. Just my 2 cents.

• Bill Turner
    Bill Turner Member
    edited January 2017

"Monitors don't last long"?  I got my first computer in 1989 back when you had to know Unix to do email. I've had at least a dozen monitors since then and none have ever failed. I just retired them in favor of bigger and better.

W6WRT

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I found that monitors die because they use cheap electrolytic in their power supplies. They can easily be repaired for a few dollars worth of caps. Currently running 3 x 27". Could use more screen are.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Would that be in the apt or home?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    In California. In Paris I use the iPad.and sometimes the MacBook. Decided long time ago to minimize weight.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.