Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Monitor Gain

Terry K8EET
Terry K8EET Member ✭✭
edited January 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Once I have my 6500 audio set to the point that it sounds good (on air reports) I can no longer hear myself in my headset. If I increase the TX audio to where I can hear myself, my TX audio is sounding very or at least quite distorted. I can hear the distortion in my headset as well. Yes, I do have my headset gain wide open.

Comments

• NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I'm not sure what you mean by TX Audio, but I agree that the Monitor gain is not sufficient. With headphones plugged into the radio front panel jack, the sidetone in the headphones is not enough to be as effective as I would like it to be.
  • Terry K8EET
    Terry K8EET Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    TX Audio . Transmitted audio signal.
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    What about the MON slider?
  • Terry K8EET
    Terry K8EET Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I don't think they can make it any longer.
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    We must be on different planets. There's no such control as "TX Audio". There is a control labeled "MON" and you say "I don't thing they can make it any longer". Earth to Terry. Can you copy?
  • Terry K8EET
    Terry K8EET Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    My reference to TX Audio was the transmitted audio as received by the receiving station.  I am using the balanced line input with a mic pre-amp.  When I reduce the mic gain on the pre-amp to the level that will not over-drive the flex which causes distortion in the transmitted audio ie. TX Audio.  With the monitor button activate and sliding the slider all the way to the right, I cannot get enough audio from the monitor to hear my voice. Thus my weak attempt to make humor about making the monitor slider longer.  I realize it's not necessary for one to hear their own voice, but as an old broadcaster I prefer to do so.

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Got it...On SSDR, the MIC level plus the MON level both control the monitor volume. So try reducing that preamp gain and increasing the MIC level to compensate. That should bring up the monitor level.
  • Terry K8EET
    Terry K8EET Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Thanks Steve,
    I knew there must be a simple solution.  I guess I thought there wouldn't be any amplification within the Flex. (And I didn't want to come on this forum and ask any dumb questions!)
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    The purpose of this forum is to share knowledge. There is no such thing as a dumb question
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017

I have entered this problem report into our bug tracker for additional investigation. Thank you for the defect report.
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Thanks Tim. I'll try the preamp-down, mic-level-up approach. Ain't it great how we identify problems, find solutions, and make the radios better every day?
  • Terry K8EET
    Terry K8EET Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    This is not a really a bad problem once you get things set up properly. The monitor could use a little more gain.  I really **** my audio up, trying to make that mic that comes with the flex sound better, but a couple of flex users got me on the right path...or a better path. I don't think Flex is doing new Flex users any favors by sending that mic with the rig (hi)

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
      I agree Terry. I'm surprised someone hasn't  mentioned the monitor gain being a function of mic gain before. It's unusual. 
  • Bill N5TU
    Bill N5TU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    I tell my classes that the only dumb question is the one not asked (or just answered).

73, Bill, N5TU

• np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Hope this helps as my 6500 does not produce this problem

My BAL control is below 50 . 
    My audio drive out of the electronic  processing has been adjusted not to exceed 0DB  (Into The BAL input)
    The monitor slider for me to monitor ends up no higher than 70 to 80 on that slider.

Relating my settings may not help you Again  there is no distortion listening to the  headset and more than enough audio to consider what I am producing.

What I do  is not use this ( mon ) to evaluate my audio.

1. Reduce power to Zero  (0) 
    2. Press red button on recorder and transmit  Press red button again
    3. Press green button and listen to a very accurate (Thank You Flex) reproduction. 

I am using Audio Technica cm50 headset . 

Just as a question Listening to your radio with your headset my level is around 50% of that output slider . And under speaker this slider is 50 (Balance at center) Med agc  and this is at 50 . 

• NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I wonder if this is simply a matter of headphone impedance?  I'm using Sony Studio Monitor headphones, which are probably 8 or maybe even 4 ohm.  I would imagine that a higher impedance headphone might produce a louder sound.
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Yep

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.