Milliwatting with the 6500...What is the Transverter line power output on my 6500?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
The other day, just for fun, I ran an interesting experiment with my friend about a mile away...

I connected my 80 meter offset fed dipole to the transverter output of my 6500 and was audible at a solid S5-6 on 10 meters SSB at a distance of 0.8 miles.
When I turned the power control down to "10," I was still audible just at the noise level, about S1-2. Both he and I were very impressed.

My question... Has anyone measured the power output from the transverter jack at various power level settings? I am curious as to whether this would be an interesting way to do "extreme milliwatting?"

I am aware that the standard of 0 dBm means one milliwatt, but what are some actual measurements? And has anyone tracked them with reduced drive level settings?

Has anyone else run a dumb experiment like this? I would like to hear some more of your experiences...
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4025 Posts
  • 1248 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Eric - KE5DTO

Eric - KE5DTO, Official Rep

• 717 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Official Response
When transmitting on the XVTR port below 80MHz, the RF Power slider is set to put out -11.5 to +15 dBm (-11.5 at setting 1, +15 at setting 100). Above 80MHz, this range is -11.5 to +8dBm.