Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

mike audio out from DAX?

Ken - NM9P
Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I have been loving my 6500 for over two years, but haven't found a solution for this one...
I would love to get my USB Mixer out of the audio chain and go directly into the 6500.  BUT, I need to be able to record my mike audio for other purposes using Audacity.  (It is handy when recording voice keyer files preparing for a contest, too.)  

Is there any way to get either processed or unprocessed mike audio OUT of the 6000 series via a DAX channel so I can record it?  If there is, I haven't found it.

I can send receive audio out to audacity, but not Mike audio.

Any ideas?

Ken - NM9P

Answers

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The only thing I can think of is using full duplex (record via dax from the receive slice) but that's not practical during normal or high power operating.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Ken
    I'm not expecting this idea to be a solution, but could you use a hardware mic mixer, with the outputs split to line-in on the PC, and line-in on radio?

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    What I'm not sure of is if your mic audio gets past the 6500 at all and even to DAX.

I think Larry is on to it, that the only audio that is going to get to DAX from the radio is receive audio.  You could certainly record that I think.
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Ken,

Simple -- set Audacity to use the DAX MIC channel for input.

73, Ray, K9DUR
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    DAC MIC Channel?  I don't see this one.  (or are you tongue-and-cheek requesting such an output?)  

I have tried several DAX RX and TX Channels, using both virtual "cable ends"  (the regular and RESERVED ends) to no avail.

But I was in a hurry and gave up because I already had recorded most of my voice keyer files.

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    That is what I am doing currently, using my Behringer Q802USB mixer.  
    I have the mike into the mixer, then fed the mixer line out into the BAL port of the 6500.  I also used to send one of the AUX Sends to my 1500.  

But now that I have sold the 1500, I don't need the mixer to split the MIC audio three-ways.  If I could take mike audio from the rig, I could take the mixer out of the line.  (And perhaps unplug the mike from the rig and back into the mixer whenever I want to record my radio spots using my studio mike.)
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I have done that while making audio adjustments, as per my tutorial videos.  But it records post-processed audio, which is good for testing my TX profiles.  But I would like to record pure pre-processed audio for use in my voice keyer, because the rig processes audio from my voice keyer (which is sent in via a DAX TX Channel) in exactly the same way it processes my mike audio.  If I record from FDX, then it gets "double-processed" and is quite sharp!  (I tried it)
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    OOPS!!! I am afraid that I have inadvertently mentioned a feature that is not yet available.  Forget I said anything. -- 73, Ray, K9DUR
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Ken, Send me an e-mail to k9dur@arrl.net so I can send a private reply back to you. -- 73, Ray, K9DUR
  •   VE6KWA
    VE6KWA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Tim already eluded to the feature awhile back.
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    When did Tim allude to this? (I have been urging this tweak for the past year) I'm hoping this new information isn't just a "tongue in cheek" joke. I would really love to be able to record both recieve and transmit without a lot of hardware kludges... Let's all just hold our breath for 1.6 and hope that it gets here before we're all unconscious from oxygen deprivation...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.