Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Microsoft has stopped the 1809 update and warned not to install it manually

DH2ID
DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
Quoting MS: "We have paused the rollout of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) for all users as we investigate isolated reports of users missing some files after updating"

Does someone here have the above mentioned problem of missing files?

Only one of my PC's (a 32bit PiPo) has updated to 1809 and (fingers crossed) no problems-yet!

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018

I updated 1809 the same day it came out. Of course I did a complete uninstall of SmartSDR (ho hum) and did the update. Reloaded SmartSDR (ho hum) and everything appeard normal I noticed no missing files.

Jim, K6QE
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    ZDNet and Forbes have articles about the problem and user stories.  I'm sure there will be more coming
    Bob, WK2Y
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Thank you for the info, Jim!
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    YES! 

When my laptop updated itself, once the final reboot occurred & I signed in, I noticed a huge and continued amount of wifi traffic. Shortly thereafter, I noticed an unfamiliar icon in the tray.

When I clicked on that icon it was OneDrive telling me that its uploads to the 'cloud' were proceeding nicely. Files were being systematically moved ( and deleted) from my hard drive to account space out there, some where.

Problem is, I don't have a OneDrive account. I didn't want one and took great pains to disable OneDrive on all my WIN10 machines. The upgrade had unilaterally re-enabled OneDrive and set it to work.

So the net effect was just deletion.

Fortunately, all my files are backed up, incrementally every half hour, to my personal cloud on a RAID-drive network attached storage server so nothing was really lost.

But yeah, I'm pretty mad.
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    According to user reports in Forbes, user files in the "C:User{username}Documents" and "C:User{username}Pictures" folders were being completely deleted during the upgrade installation, to the point of not being recoverable (through the recycle bin or other means).  It was suspected that this was somehow connected to those folders not being backed up via a OneDrive account (Microsoft's cloud storage) but that was not necessarily confirmed (it looks like K8RC has confirmed it, however).  So, it's best to stay from 1809 until it is released again and has some maturity and user experience behind it (caveat emptor!).
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Thank you, Bob! Well, that's even worse than I thought.
    Maybe FlexRadio should also post a warning here.
    I'm only glad that I stayed with Win7 for my main PC....
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    My solution was to go Windows 10 Pro and postpone all the updates except security related ones for six months.  I'm still on 1709
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Greg, I just read somewhere (was it on Reddit?) that these big Win10 updates are not updates but upgrades, as the system files are not only replaced, but the whole old
    system is written to the "windows.old" folder, then the system in installed as a
    new Windoes 10 version, and then the user files are written back to their original place.
    This would explain a lot of the problems with virtual cables and also the missing files!
  • Jerry Harley
    Jerry Harley Member
    edited October 2018
    mine installed and FAILED to run and MS backed it out and reloaded.  Down time four hours
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    This is exactly why I don't install updates the minute they come out. I'm still on 8.1 and plan on staying there for a while.

• Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Did the update on day one - no worries
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Same here non issue X5.
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Yes twice a year major os changes. Spring and Fall.
    2nd Tuesday of every month is patch Tuesday for years now but is only small updates not major over hauls.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.