Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Microphone provided with the FLEX 6300

howard krawitz
howard krawitz Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
This is the worst mike I have ever used. Even with adjusting the EQ the mike has some hum in it and it is very hard for most listeners to listen to. 

Please replace the mike with a better quality mike. I like the rig but you gave us 30 days to evaluate it and with this mike being the problem you need to take care of this. I see by the various comments I am not alone in this. 

Please respond.

Howard Krawitz
ah6tx
661-821-0923

Answers

• Ken N9VV
    Ken N9VV Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Hi Howard,
    I use a wireless Logitech headset through my PC to my SDR rig. I have found that the audio is perfect. I even used it to make a contact with the ESSB guys on 3.630 and they pronounced the Audio perfect. 
    George K5RIG uses his Logitech wireless headset on Skype and with his FLEX-6300 and is getting unsolicited great audio reports on all bands.  I think the refurbished units we purchased were about $30.  I understand George also used a $9.95 Radio Shack Mic through his computer and no one noticed the difference and heard him perfectly well.  So perhaps there are some MIC solutions that you can explore at a low cost and see if they give you a "hands free" phone experience that you enjoy.   One hidden advantage of these new wireless headphones is that you listen with much greater fidelity and clarity compared to common PC powered speakers :-)
    GL de Ken N9VV
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I have been using a $24 Logitech Bluetooth Headset (Amazon) via my ipad over Skype remote into my 6700 in California. I am currently in Paris but in the past year or so, I have operated this way from 17 countries. I get unsolicited comments like "your audio is FM broadcast quality" all the time. Interestingly enough I don't get such good reports from my Heil Proset connected directly but I do get equivalently good r exports from my Radiosport. On The Other Hand. I have never used the supplied Flex mike.
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I picked up a Heil Goldmine V at HamCom this weekend for $20.

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I have one of those. You probably overpaid.
  • Sparks
    Sparks Member
    edited June 2014
    The Yaesu-style mic that is supplied - is a dynamic mic. It is nasty. I replaced the element with a condenser  element and changed the coupling cap...added some dampening material to the shell- and it sounds really decent now. You have to turn on the Bias setting in the start up config menu. The mic is a good starting point.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    It is not hard to get good audio out of the FHM-1 mic, but there are a few things you may have to do.  

First is to make sure the mic is set for wide range, which is done with the TONE switch in the #1 position.  If it is in the #2 position, it rolls off the bass for communication quality.  

Second, you have to "cross talk" the mic.  Do not speak directly into the mic, but speak across the mic opening to achieve the best fidelity. 

Third, do not overdrive the mic input.  In SmartSDR v1.2.1, the mic level meter should never peak (turn red), but be in the range between -5 and -1 dB.

Fourth, turn on the PROC (voice processor) and set it to NORMAL or DX.

Last but not least, set the EQ properly. Boosting frequencies too high can result in distorted audio.

• Mike W9OJ
    Mike W9OJ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    What is the difference between a FHM-1 and a Yaesu MH-31? They look identical but certainly don't sound the same. The Yaesu sounds much better.
  • Bill N3HQB
    Bill N3HQB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Try CW  :-)
  • Mike W9OJ
    Mike W9OJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    So how does that microphone sound on CW?

• Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Ken, I have a Logitech wireless headset. How do you set up your system to talk to your 6x000 through your PC?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Make sure you expand all the comments
  • Sparks
    Sparks Member
    edited November 2015
    Well, It's fantastic for modulated CW. You turn on the monitor in AM and place it near the speaker. Key the PTT for CW and it produces a perfect sine-wave with very low distortion. Also, if you swing it around over your head on the coil cord, it's great for taking off toilet paper from trees - should you get "papered" by local kids. Since it is a dynamic mic, it also functions well as a speaker...perfect for a pillow speaker. If you are a movie director, it's a great prop for police car scenes.  It's very versatile!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.