microphone level

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Not to beat a dead horse, but what do most folks find to be a typical microphone level setting?

I have used two dynamic microphones ( Heil Goldline Pro and cheap headset) that worked well on my Flex 3000. I find that I need to use the 20 db setting and a level in the range of 85-90 to obtain drive when close talking.

For most of my operating I DON'T like using a desk mic or boom mounted microphone, as I like the freedom to move around the operating position and not have to stay focused on where the microphone is located.

Any recommendations on a good ON-THE-EAR dual headset? I do contests at times and find the
over the ear ones just to hot after a couple of hours.

73's
Lew

Photo of Lewis Cheek

Lewis Cheek

• 240 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Kev Mallin

Kev Mallin

• 32 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I took the plunge a purchased a 6300, but after a day of farting about trying to get rid of the whirring I'm a bit fed up, trying to use an md100 with it and it need's the +20 and a high mic gain , you guessed it , should of found this thread it would have saved me a day chasing my arse. Even without the mic connected and at 1w into a dummy load on any mode I get the whirring .
Has this been resolved by Flex , does my radio need to go back to be moded .

Regards Kev
Photo of Howard -W6HDG

Howard -W6HDG

• 41 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Not to be discouraging, but Flex never addressed my whirring, non punchy audio and I sold my 6300. I tried several mics and even bought a preamp If you don't sound fantastic with a MD100, I would ask Flex for assistance. This is NOT RF at 1W into a dummy load and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I hope you get the radio going since the receiver is so darn good. But I like working SSB DX and I would A/B the Flex 6300 with my Yaesu FTdx3000 and the Yaesu TX audio won by a mile.
Photo of Kev Mallin

Kev Mallin

• 32 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Howard the audio is great with the md100, its the bloody whirring noise that's the problem, if I lower the mic gain enough to get rid of the whirring I might as well stick my head out of the window and shout CQ!!! It was fantastic on the flex1500.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3789 Posts
  • 1638 Reply Likes
Sure sounds like the infamous PIn1 RFI problem even with 1W. Into a dummy load. IIRC some 6300 went back to the factory for an ECO (?) and/some mechanical fix to correct this issue.

Someone else may recall the actual solution.
Photo of Dale KB5VE

Dale KB5VE

• 418 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Wow I was amazed at the number of comments on this subject. What is the best mic to use? The one you like , smart elec answer but as you can see that is what has just been said. I love the PR 40 and a heil pro 5 headset. I was concerned about the need for the 20 db boost so I called tim and we talked. One statement he made really got my attention, he said you want as little Dsp gain in the audio circuit as possible, he said I run a mic preamp and gave me the name and model. I got off the phone and called a very good friend in the musical recording business and is a electronic eng. he said he agreed big time with what I was told. Dsp is great but he said keeping gain low in the Dsp would produce a cleaner response. I bought a unit that had a tube in the preamp and it was the best thing I did. I run my mic gain at 17 no 20 db Boout in the flex 6500 but I do have the 25 db boost on on the mic preamp. I have no RFI running legal limit. Everybody said sounds great until v 1.4 but I changed the eq settings and I am ok again.

Just my two cents worth and I have had several mad 100 fair mic but not on my top ten.
Photo of Andrew Russell

Andrew Russell

• 279 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes

Dale,

Which preamp are you using? I have a 6500 too and am considering a mic amp.

I have used a bargain Yamaha DM-105 dynamic with great results. +20dB and mid range mic gain. Its output spec is -54dBV/Pa at 500 Ohms.

But I like hands free for contests. The Shure WH20XLR headset mic is 13dB down on the Yamaha and I need to close talk the mic at +20dB and mic gain at 100. Its spec is -67dBV/Pa at "150 (200)" Ohms. So it needs some boost.

Andrew VK5CV

(Edited)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9199 Posts
  • 3558 Reply Likes
I am using the Studio Projects VTB1 V Series mic preamp.  http://www.studioprojectsusa.com/vtb1_review.htm
Photo of Dale KB5VE

Dale KB5VE

• 418 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
I was getting ready to buy the one Tim has and I found one named TubeMP/C it has a few more features and a very good rating and is very reasonable.
Photo of Andrew Russell

Andrew Russell

• 279 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
Went to the local sound shop to look at the Tube MP. They only had the Tube MP/C in stock. The guy sharpened his pencil so that is what I got.
Photo of Dale KB5VE

Dale KB5VE

• 418 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Great I sit mine on top of the radio with a short cable in the balanced position. I love it.
Photo of Norm - W7CK

Norm - W7CK

• 761 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Please don't get me wrong, I love my 6700 but I do have audio issues with the mic

I use a PR-40 on my 6700 with the best quality cables I could find going to the BAL input on the back of the rig .  The mic settings are +20 ON, mic gain at 90 and PROC at DX+.  Low cut 100, High Cut 3200.  I have spent a lot of time with friends and other receivers with recorders trying to get the audio adjusted.  So far, the verdict is that it is acceptable.  I've had lots of SSB contacts and have NEVER had anyone tell me that the audio was exceptional.  

Mic gain is just barley enough.  I can't understand why a separate mic preamp would be necessary with a rig costing this much.  The last thing I want is a bunch of additional gear and cables in the shack just to sound like a $1,200 Kenwood.

The PR-40 is a pretty good microphone and works on several other rigs without issue.  IMO more mic gain should have been built into the 6000, but then maybe its just an adjustment that can be made through software?

For now, I'll use it the way it is and hope for improvement in future software releases.  If in the future I get a cabinet to mount all of my equipment in, I may look into a mic preamp at that time.

Don't misunderstand, I love the 6700 and for now the audio is acceptable.  I'm just saying - "out of the box the audio should be better and not require additional 3rd party equipment".
Photo of Howard -W6HDG

Howard -W6HDG

• 41 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Norm,
Very well said. Flex Radio should get a hold of a Kenwood TS-590 and a Yaesu FTdx1200/3000 and do some intensive A<> B testing. TX audio needs to be addressed pronto and the monitor circuit and audio TX quality/punch needs to improved out of the box IMO.
Photo of Charles - K5UA

Charles - K5UA

• 319 Posts
  • 89 Reply Likes
Hi Norm,

You have a good mic and good hi and low cutoffs, but the DX+ position is probably too aggressive to expect anyone to be impressed enough to give you an "exceptional" audio report. I would try the NORM position for typical operating conditions and reserve the DX position for pileups and the DX+ position for BIG pileups.

I think I read in one of the posts that the DX+ position also overrides the default high and low audio cutoffs to maximize the effectiveness of the DX+ processor position. That could be why you are not getting the occasional "exceptional" audio reports typical of the 6000 series radios (the frequency response is too restricted).

I have a quiet voice, so I need the mic pre-amp to really drive the balanced input.  If you have more power in your voice, make sure you are not driving the peak audio level indicator into the red, which would cause audio distortion.

I am uncertain of this, but the balanced audio input may require line level input since it is an XLR connector common to professional audio gear which is typical line level, not mic level. Maybe Tim or Steve could comment on whether or not the balance inut is a line level or mic level input, I'm not really sure.  All I know is I can't drive it with the extra 20dB and 100% mic gain with my voice and my dynamic mic unless I use a mic pre-amp.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 4015 Posts
  • 975 Reply Likes
Many operators of  the top of the line radios use a pre-amps. The Icom 990 and almost all of them. A simple 4 channel mixer with 48v phantom power works very well. You can find them costing around $70.00 or so.

I have a good friend with a 6500 and he has an outboard pre-amp. we set his audio up a few days ago and he sounds astounding. Dave w2ox helped on air, and we got it.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
I have found that if you have too much bass in your signal, running DX+ the processor gets overwhelmed by the "Big Bass" and doesn't sound very nice.

I have gotten excellent results with a PR22 with wide response when running PROC in NOR and DX, but I have to shave off some low end when I run PROC DX+ .  But you want to emphasize the higher frequencies a bit anyway when trying to bust pileups.  On weak signals, highly compressed signals with big bass sound mushy and indistinct.

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9199 Posts
  • 3559 Reply Likes
Charles - K5UA wrote: "I think I read in one of the posts that the DX+ position also overrides the default high and low audio cutoffs to maximize the effectiveness of the DX+ processor position."

That is not applicable anymore.  We removed any filtering restrictions on DX+.

On the FLEX-6500/FLEX-6700 the rear XLR combo connector, the 1/4" TRS and 3-pin XLR are eclectically equivalent.  The only difference is that you cannot enabled the +20 dB microphone preamp when you select LINE.  I have my outboard equipment connected using the 3-pin XLR connection, but in SmartSDR I set the input to LINE so that I can never mess up and enable the mic preamp. 
Photo of Andrew Russell

Andrew Russell

• 280 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes

Tim,

I just tried that trick. Set the input to LINE but the +20dB button in setup seems to be active.

Using an XLR to TRS balanced input from the preamp. I also tried line level output from the preamp.

Andrew