Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Microphone questions

Alan - KA4B
Alan - KA4B Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I am using the FHM-1 microphone that came with my 6500.  The 'DWN' moves the frequency down a step but the 'UP' seems to have no effect.  I am unaware of what the center button does.  I did not see any instructions on the use of this specific mic in the documentation.

I tried my ICOM HM-36 mic and the 'UP' and 'DOWN' buttons do not seem to have any effect.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Answers

• Brent Parker
    Brent Parker Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Alan - The up, moves the freq up and the down, moves it down. If you hold the middle (fast button) while you press up or down, instead of small steps, it moves "faster" (big steps).

Sounds like maybe the up wire is broken in the connector? or maybe in the mic?

I wanted a longer cable on mine, so I looked a the pinout and built  a cable, but neglected to "extend" the up/down and lost that ability. Then I discovered that right at the base of the mic it's a RJ-45 connector. So I disconnected, used a ethernet jack coupler and added in about 1.5' of ethernet cable. It's the "right" length, and doesn't seem to be picking up any RFI, which frankly suprissed me!

I believe the pinout on the Icom mic's is different. You'd have to compare the pin-outs.

Brent  W8XG (formerly NB4AP)
  • Alan - KA4B
    Alan - KA4B Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks, Brent.  Great Idea about the ethernet jack coupler.  I also found the mic cable too short to be practical.  I checked the pinouts and the ICOM is indeed different.  The mic must be defective because the up button just doesn't function.  

Another question:  When I got the FlexControl the center button did not seem to have an effect.  It was set for Master AF, I believe.  When set to Slice AF it works fine.  I would think Master AF setting would control the volume at the top, but it doesn't seem to.  Do I have something set wrong?
  • James Kennedy-WU5E
    James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

This may mean nothing , but I used the Heil PR-20 with Heil Blue tooth Adapter range is 55 feet away radio works great,

Jim

WU5E

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.