Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Microphone ground connection - Flex-6400M

Thomas NE7X
Thomas NE7X Member ✭✭
I have a microphone distribution switch box in my shack where I route my one single desk microphone to multiple transceivers (ICOM/Yaesu). My question is how do I build a cable for my distribution switch box to connect to a 6400M? Per the 6400M User Guild (Section 4.3.19) it states the plug on the 6400M is a balanced input and to connect the shield (Negative) side of the microphone cable to the RING on the plug and not to the ground shield sleeve of the plug. The switch distribution box has all the cable shields connected to chassis earth ground. It is OK to connect earth ground to the plug RING or do I need to have some isolation of the microphone ground shield when I connect it to the RING of the plug ?

Answers

• Thomas NE7X
    Thomas NE7X Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Anyone out there that can help answer my query?  How do I build/wire a non-balanced audio interface grounded shield microphone cable to a 6400M ? Is it OK to connect the earth chassis ground to the RING? Do I need an isolation interface?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited January 2018
    Wire it like a balanced mic connection.
  • Thomas NE7X
    Thomas NE7X Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Tim
    Thanks for the reply to my query, however I'm still a bit confused. The cables coming from from my microphone distribution switch box are unbalanced, with the cable shield earth chassis ground. When you say, "Wire it like a balanced mic connection," How do I wire this to the 6400M?  Does the grounded shield go to the RING or the ground pin on the 3 pin 3.5mm plug? Do I need a xformer to convert the unbalanced to balanced?
    Thomas NE7X...
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited January 2018
    In a balanced wiring configuration, the shield (ground) and ring (MIC-) are not electrically connected.  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.