Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Microphone connection on the FLEX 6600

James Kennedy-WU5E
James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series

FLEX, I see a 1/8 jack for Microphone connection. So my Heil 781 will have to have adapter to mate the XLR to that 1/8 jack. Or is HEIL going to make a new Microphone. I think my Behringer ULTRAGAIN PRO Mic 2200 will have to go away, also my Jabber remote microphone will have to go away. 4 years with a FLEX 6500 Now I start all over again. BUT I have stuff to sell at the next Ham fest.

Now the clock ticks on my 6600 to be delivered.

Jim, WU5E

Answers

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Jim, It's super simple to remove an old connector and add a new one. If you don't have the skills then I'm sure there are plenty of hams in the area who would help. It's a 10 minute job. 73, Mack W4AX
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Or get a pig tail adapter. This way you aren't modifying the mic from its stock config.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Amazon has a variety of right-angle 3.5mm stereo connectors and pig tail adapters. They even have a XLR to right angle 3.5 TRS cable in various lengths. Reasonably priced. I plan to wire my own so that I know that it is done right. I would, however recommend two things.. 1) use right angle connectors to reduce torque strain on the rig's jack. 2) avoid simply using an adapter instead of a new connector or pigtail adapter -- for the same reason.
  • James Kennedy-WU5E
    James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thank you for all the comments. Have the right angle on order now..
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    For the new 6400/6600, what happens when you plug Heil headset which has 1/8" mono plug  for the mic output in to the 6400/6600 mic input??    Also, what type of adapter will be needed for this situation?
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    What I'm struggling with is how the heck to hook up my Bose Aviation A20 headset with mic to the 6600M.

Br,
    Larry
    WA7LZO

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    What connector is on the headset?
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I made a pigtail adapter for my microphones, and adapters to it for the various mics I use. It's actually kinda nice, since I just plug and deploy from the front panel. I enjoy experimenting with various microphones both condenser and dynamic, and find the whole process of making the settings in the radio panel, then selecting the mic profile, super easy.

• Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I have the standard helicopter panel plug on my A20:

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/aviation_headsets/a20-aviation-headset.html?mc=25_PS_...

Bose uses the same arrangement used by David Clark on their helicopter headset/mic.

Br,
    Larry
    WA7LZO
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2020
    We are looking into several options for accommodating different mics with the 6400/6600 radios; 3-pin and 4-pin XLRs and 8-pin Foster connectors.  We are considering making adapters available for sale.
  • James Whiteway
    edited May 2017
    How about a knock-out (extra hole) on the rear panel that a user could add the connector of their choice. You could sell connectors with a pigtail on them (keyed) that could connect to a header in the radio. Removing a cover, inserting a connector in the rear panel,(threaded body) screwing on a washer and the nut, should be easy enough to do. No soldering required! Neat and much better than adapters hanging off the back of a desk putting strain on the 1/8 connector. James WD5GWY
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2017
    If we were to provide the hole, we'd just as well put a connector in it ;-)

The internal layout makes this a bit challenging.  But if there is a way to accommodate something like this, we will consider it.  No promises.
  • Dave Dave
    Dave Dave Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Tim,

Someone here is claiming that the mic connector on the new radios is 1/4XLR ....I assume he meant 1/4 and xlr.

Is this true.... I find it nowhere????

Please verify or dismiss this.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2017
    The 6600 and 6600M will have a 1/4" TRS balanced input connector on the rear of the radio.TRS is NOT XLR but it will be balanced.

Dave wo2x
  • Alan Cerniglia
    edited June 2017
    Yepper...   At Ham Comm in Irving,Tx Gerald said the 6600 series would have a 1/4" TRS.... I found a  1/4" with 3' pig tail to XLR at Sweetwater for  $7.79 , but would prefer a right angle type 1/4"...  link>   https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/STX103M
    Also they have a 3' & 5'  1/4" to  XLR Females to go straight into the mic....  I hope the pinouts match up....  lol
    They also have a 1/8" TRS to XLR  female ... https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XVM105F
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Egads. I sat down on Sunday afternoon waiting for 6 meters to open up and changed my XLR mic connector to TRS, and changed the paddle connector from 1/4 to mini. Only need to change the Foster connector on the headset mic and everything’s 6600-ready. This isn’t hard folks. Took half an hour including time for a couple contacts and a ****.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited June 2017
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Will the 1/4 TRS connector still be able to provide +48V bias (phantom power) like the 6500 & 6700 does?

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2017
    The 6500 and 6700 DO NOT provide +48 volt phantom power. You will need an external source (phantom power supply, preamp, etc)

Dave wo2x

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Correct, the BIAS button in the mic setup is for low voltage bias on the front 8-pin Foster connector. On the 6400/6600 the low voltage bias will be available on the 1/8 inch connector, but the 1/4 inch TRS will be just like the BAL input on the 6500/6700, which has no bias voltage. (But without the XLR).
  • W7NIK
    W7NIK Member ✭✭

I need help , the 1/8 plug on the 6600 Has three rings tip , center and ground.

my ground on my PTT is the same ground, so is my mic - pin 7 is not the same ground of the PTT .

I have the radio set head with a break out box pinned for yeasu . Plus a foot switch .

What are the pin out for the mic 1/8 connector .,

ptt is easy but when plug in the mic it keys :( .

• David Decoons, wo2x
  • on5po
    on5po Member ✭✭

Hello all,

I would like to buy a bose aviation headset, but first so as not to spend unnecessary money, I am looking for OMs who use this kind of headset to connect to an 8-pin socket, in case the rx/tx would be a normal yaesu during outdoor activations, and eventually I would use it with my flex 6700.

My question is this possible and possibly the pinout on an 8 pin socket

Greetings 73

ON5PO, Janny

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Maybe things have changed, but several years ago I researched this for another project. At the time the aviation headsets had different impedance for mike and headphones from “normal” equipment. This was to be compatible with radios with carbon mike inputs and 600 ohm audio systems that originated in WW2 and set the standard for aviation radios.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.