Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Microphone connection on 6400

Rick
Rick Member ✭✭
edited October 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Explain the Microphone connection on the 6400, and is there a Microphone supplied?

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2017
    FYI, this and other information is covered in the New Product FAQ
    http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/new_products_faq_v1-2-pdf/

What kind of adapter will I need to hookup a microphone to my new FLEX 6400/6400M/6600/6600M?
    The radio uses a 3.5mm (1/8-inch) TRS plug for the microphone. We will have optional adapters
    available when we deliver the radio (no current pricing available).

Will a microphone be included with the radio?
    No. You can use your current dynamic or condenser microphone with the appropriate adapter. The
    connection is a 3.5mm (1/8-inch) TRS jack. It can be used in either pseudo-balanced or unbalanced modes.

• Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Thanks Tim
    Quick reply

• Tim - W4TME
    edited June 2017
    No problem.
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    K2CB Eric Dobrowansky Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Will the one TRS connector handle both tx audio (tip) and ptt (ring), or will the ptt require a second connection?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited June 2017
    The mic connector is a pseudo bananced connector.
    Tip=(+)
    Ring=(-)
    Sleeve=(gnd)

PTT is not handled using the mic connector, that is done via the RCA PTT connector.
  • Joe  N9VX
    Joe N9VX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I saw a post stating the Flex-6600/M will have a 1/4" TRS audio in jack also, will the Flex-6400 have this jack?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited June 2017
    No, it will not.
  • Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Seems like bigger would be better, less fragile. ..every body can't afford the "M" but would like dependable. Rick, kd4dra
  • Joe  N9VX
    Joe N9VX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    The Apache Labs SDR radios use the 1/8" mic jack and is disliked by all the owners I have talked to including me. It is not strong enough to support ferrites on the cord and a coiled cord on a hand mic will be a disaster. I have had problems with the 1/8" speaker jack in the Flex 1500, had to take it apart and bend the contacts to make connection. I hate to seen a great piece hardware, the Flex 6400,  have this obvious flaw.

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I have found using a coiled hand mic cord with a 1/8 inch connector to be a non-issue with my Elecraft KX2.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.